Dinkus' Baffling

Dinkus' Baffling

Post by Guest »

Hey DInkus,

I asked you a while back about your baffling and you were kind enough to put a page up on your website with some pics. Right after that I got a new snare and so I just ended up using that on my kit, but now I'd like to have another go at the "Xen" all-in-one drum.

I'm being stonewalled by the foam though... where did you get your foam? I checked home depot, canadian tire and staples... nothing. Some of your baffles look like cushions even, maybe that's where I should look?

It seems like you have several different types, and I can't even find one. Argh!

Cheers, and thanks,

Evan
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

Evan, good question on the foam. I had lots of it through the years from road cases i had purchased, also from gear, computers, what ever. I would suggest finding a company in your area that builds road, flight cases. They'll have tons of foam. If not there, I actually have a piece that came from i think Walmart. It's for the top of a bed. Also check out if there are any bed manufactures in your area, they have foam. Last resort, I would try a carpet shop and purchase carpet underlay. Hope that helps.

Dinkus. (I'll be on the hunt for more foam too to finish my new cocktail drum project)
eatsnackysmores

foam

Post by eatsnackysmores »

Hi Dinkus,

I found a place called Len's Mill Store, they have a chain in southwestern ontario (http://www.lensmill.com/first.htm) and they sell both low-density foam by the square (1 to 4 inches thick) and "egg carton" foam with the bumps. I made my baffle and it works great, only cost me 10$. ALthough I think I'll toy with it, move the baffle up a bit to allow the bass end to have a bigger resonance chamber.

There's this stuf called "memory foam" which is basically the same except it weighs quite a bit (6 pounds for a 1 inch think 18 inch square!) which I might also try out. I bet no air could get through that puppy.

Any tips on making the snare sound better? I get a lot of unwanted buzz sound from the snare mechanism itself rattling against the head, I'm going to experiment with moongels. I see you've worked out a system for an external snare, in your opinion does this improve the sound of the snare head side?

Cheers,

Evan
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

Hey Even thanks for the info. As for the snare question, you'll always get snare buzz. just make sure that it's a liveable amount. I've heard some incredible sounding snare off stage through a PA that buzz like a press roll on stage. So find whats reasonable. I suggest not to over tighten the snares. It will only cause more buzz. There is a fine line between too loose and too tight. I fully recomend an external snare. I use it all the time. I turn it off and on. Off for Rock and on for country or mellow tunes. Again the key is to not over tighten it cause you will get more buzz. Hope this helps. Just experiment you'll eventually get what you want.

Dinkus