16" light ride for sale

fw

16" light ride for sale

Post by fw »

I found a 70's 16" A. Zildjian light ride for sale today at Music Manor in Lansing, MI. It was $80 and would make a great cocktail cymbal--good bell, a few ride zones, and a decent crash. No problems.

Their address and phone number are:

MUSIC MANOR 3333 SOUTH CEDAR ST. LANSING, MI 48910 (517)393-5995.

I'm set in the cocktail cymbal department, but if I weren't, I'd buy this thing in a second. I haven't seen a 16" ride in almost twenty years, and the price is very reasonable.

Will
Randy Rudolph

Post by Randy Rudolph »

SOLD!!! I just called and bought it. Normally I wouldn't dream of buying a cymbal sight unseen (and sound unheard) but these don't come up very often and I've never been too crazy about the 17" Sabian crash ride I've been using (I was actually thinking of drilling it for rivets).

Thanks for the tip!
fw

Post by fw »

Glad it worked out! I think you'll love it, but even if you don't, I'm sure you can get back what you put into it on ebay. My first cymbals were 70's A's, mostly with the outlined logo on the bottom, and I love them.

Let me know what you think! The drum guy there is probably cracking up--I'm sure I'm the only person in Lansing who took any interest in the cymbal, and then hours after I leave, the cymbal sells through the mail.

They have three or four decent pairs of used Zildjian and Sabian 14" hi hats there, too--one set probably came in with that ride, and they are all under $120. But hats are so personal, and I swear, I haven't heard a great set of hi hats in years. I don't know what's going on.

Talk to you later.

Will
Randy Rudolph

Post by Randy Rudolph »

The guy I spoke to was astonished that somebody in Philadelphia would know about this cymbal. I told him about this forum and I got the impression that he thought I was kind of nuts (clearly an astute judge of character).

I'm really looking forward to getting this. Thanks again!
Randy Rudolph

Post by Randy Rudolph »

The cymbal has arrived and it's everything it's supposed to be! Even more, as I find I can get a decent "dark crash" out of it in addition to the couple of VERY different ride sounds. I'll be using this one a lot. Many thanks Will!!

I should also mention that the cymbal was very well packed and shipped promptly. Music Manor in Lansing, MI gets my highest recommendation! (hmmm...sounds kind of like e-bay feedback, doesn't it)
fw

Post by fw »

I'm glad you like it! I was afraid it might be too high-pitched for some tastes, or too focused for some people, or too washy for others. Isn't it crazy how many ride sounds it has? I don't think you can pull that many tones out of most 20" cymbals. And that crash is wild--I don't know how to describe it--dark definitely, and at first it sounds like the crash will spread indefinitely and resolve into a lot of nice overtones, but instead it makes its statement right away and shuts up pretty quickly, like a china. But it sounds like a crash. To me, it doesn't even sound like crashing on a ride--it sounds like a real crash, but then there's that drop out. And how about that bell? Pretty good for a 16".

Anyway, I'm so glad you like it and that it's in the hands of a cocktailer who can appreciate it and not some schmoe who just wanted a cheap 16" to bash on (the most probable scenario if it stayed for sale in Lansing).

Have fun!

Will
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

I just bought a, are you ready for this?, a 16" Sabian HH Manhattan Bridge Ride. Never heard of one before. NOS out of production model. I have a 22" Manhattan Ride, but this is a "Bridge" ride. Supposed to be a bridge between a crash and a ride from what I'm told, a.k.a. crash/ride. I thought it wowuld go great w/my Cocktail Kit.
fw

Post by fw »

Crazy! I might have heard of the Bridge concept in Modern Drummer before, but not in a 16" size. Let us know how it works!

Will
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

Got the "Bridge Ride" today and haven't really gotten to give it a workout yet, but I think it will work really better as a ride than a crash. May be a little thick for a crash IMO. But, then again, maybe not. I'll let you know.
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Hi mango
How did the 16" bridge ride work out for you. I started a post considering a wuhan 16" as a crash ride on the cocktail (which would be larger than what I usually use) but I doubt an AZ would sound anything like a wuhan. Wondering how that size CrashRide worked for you.
Let me know when you can. Thanks
multiperc
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

multiperc wrote:Hi mango
How did the 16" bridge ride work out for you. I started a post considering a wuhan 16" as a crash ride on the cocktail (which would be larger than what I usually use) but I doubt an AZ would sound anything like a wuhan. Wondering how that size CrashRide worked for you.
Let me know when you can. Thanks
multiperc
The Bridge Ride is a little loud for the quieter Cocktail gigs I play , so will be using my Bosphorus Masters flat which is just the ticket.