rock music

palacki808

rock music

Post by palacki808 »

I'm getting abck together with a band that hasn't played in years. Last time we played was before my interest in cocktail drums. I tried playing some rock this week on my cocktail set, but it just isn't happening without a hihat.

Its a little weird playing a different style than I'm used too, almost like learning to play again. I looked at Dinkus's website about using a hihat. Dinkus if you're reading this, you're tough. Standing and operating both pedals isn't impossible, but it certainly isn't easy.

I have noticed though if I play the hihat on a regular stand (not remote like dinkus does) it is usable with my left hand. My hihat stand doesn't reach quite high enough to get above the cocktail drum. My left hand has a bit of a "limp" feeling as it is below the normal level at which my arms usually are. I assume with time and practice it should feel more comfortable though.

I don't know how the guys will like my cocktail set as we're playing rock music. If I get comfortable with my hihat though, they'll just have to get used to the cocktail drum.

-Joe
fw

Post by fw »

Have you tried the trick of lifting the top cymbal with your left hand? Nobody misses the hi hat on 2 and 4 when Charlie Watts doesn't play them, and even though we'd never admit it to the ladies (who would want to shame Rick Allen?), we all know the left hand is unnecessary in a lot of rock most of the time--the right hand could do it all (sorry to the left-handers and ambies for the right-handed political incorrectness).

I know what you mean, though--rock beats are so simple that what makes them work is a loud bass and snare and subtle variations of hi-hat pressure. My cocktail kit stripped me of all three.

I did find that keeping my hi hats closed but not vice-grip tight let me get a focused sound near the bell and a sloshy sound if I hit them hard near the edge. I tried to substitute a shloshy accent for an open hi hat sound.

Good luck!

Will
jmettam
Site Admin

Hi Hat

Post by jmettam »

You could also try setting up 2 or more sets of hi-hats! I know it sounds like overkill but this way you could setup at least a tight pair and a loose pair to go between. I personally use Will's approach of leaving them loose and changing the way I play them for variations in sound. I also (rarely) do the left hand open trick. It's a real pain but it looks really crazy so the audience loves it!

- John
Randy Rudolph

Post by Randy Rudolph »

I'm currently using an old Jacques Capelle hi hat stand; it goes really high, enough to easily clear the top of my drum (early '60's Ludwig Miami Beach). These stands are getting harder to find, but they occasionally show up on e-bay. If you can find one, it should solve your height problem.

I tried the remote hi hat setup too and found that although it works pretty well I'm much more comfortable with one foot firmly planted on the ground, so I went back to the conventional stand (with a drop clutch). I've decided that although I want both hi hat and bass drum sounds available, I can work around not being able to use them both at the same time. I'm now trying to figure out a technique of quickly shifting from one foot to the other smoothly so that I can integrate the hi hat into more patterns. I've never been much of a dancer (or a drummer, for that matter) so I haven't quite figured it out yet. Anybody else try anything like this?
jmettam
Site Admin

Reverse Hi Hat

Post by jmettam »

Here's an idea for some creative inventor:

Make a hi-hat stand that works opposite the normal function. Hi hats are closed when your foot is OFF the pedal and they open when you PUSH the pedal down!

I know a few of you have reversed your pedals, who wants to take this on?!? :twisted:

- John
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

John, when I was 18 I built such a hi hat stand. I was really into playing metal and thought it would work great with being able to do great hi hat work as well as double kick stuff. I used a Pearl stand and had some small stage life with it. I still think it would be a valid tool in metal and even in this case. It can be done with very little invested and with some good R&D I bet would do some good.

Dinkus
jmettam
Site Admin

Dinkus is the Man!

Post by jmettam »

Why am I not surprised Dinkus? I think that I had you in the back of my mind when I wrote that post! :D

You don't have any pictures do you? Or a description of how you did it?

Could be a cool new project for some people!

THanks

- John
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

I don't think I have any pics but I can give a brief description of how it worked with the Pearl Hat stand.
The stand was the type that had the tensioner just above the pedal that you would twist to tighten or loosen the action. First thing was to stabilize the center rod by disconnecting the rod from the pedal and then re-inserting the rod through the hole and adding a nut to secure it to the tripod. This is so the rod stays stationary holding the top hat stationary. That's the easy part. Then I had found a piece of aluminum tubing and put it in place of the tubing for the bottom of the hat. I drilled 2 holes opposite each other on the bottom, I believe about an inch from the bottom. It's really not that important. Now I had completely taken apart the tensioner for the action on the stand. The great thing about the Pearl stand was it has 2 elongated cuts on either side of the stand where the tensioner goes. My aluminum down tube then slid to almost the bottom of the stand where it could be seen through the 2 elongated cuts. I then drilled a hole on each side of the aluminum tube and threaded a little stud on each side. Springs were then added to pull up on the studs so to add tension to the down tube and thus closing it to the top hat, which was stationary to the center rod. I think I just attached the springs from the stud to the top of the tripod legs. Now I hooked up the pedal (string, rope, tape what ever I had around) to the studs on the down tube. This pulled on the stud and dropped the bottom hats. The tension from the spring would then return it to a closed position when the foot was off the pedal or relaxed
Voila opposite hat stand. It was fairly smooth to operate but I needed to work on it a bit. Remember not to tighten the down tube to the stand as in the conventional stands or it will not work. I had done an audition for a rock band with it that way and their drummer tried it out but when you?ve played a few years one way it takes a bit more time to develop and I?m not sure his mind set was up to the task. I thought about marketing it with retro fits to various styles stand but when your young and broke some things just get put on the back burner and some things get developed that are better anyways. I hope this helps anyone. Maybe I?ll fire up the old idea again, who knows.

Dinkus
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

ONce again, Dinkus, you are the man!

You truly created the reverse hi-hat stand. I didn't even think about 'openning' the bottom cymbal. Brilliant!

My mind has been chewing on this a bit too and I have a couple of ideas for making the top open when the pedal is pushed down...

- John
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

Well Let the ideas begin. By the way, Happy New Years. Gigging in the home town tomorrow. I get to pull out the DW's It's been a year since i've played them. Some Booze, some great freinds and players and music. Should be a blast, hope all the same for the rest of you cocktail freaks.

Dinkus
ricky

rock music

Post by ricky »

I used to hate watching Charlie Watts play without hitting the hats on 2 and 4,then I realized he didn't need to,it fit what the Stones were doing...simple straight up rock n roll,perfect....less is more{sometimes},anyway keep it real rock/cocktail freaks!
ricky

rock music

Post by ricky »

Dinkus,you rock...keep it up.crazy cocktail freak!