ludwig conga drum conversions

fw

ludwig conga drum conversions

Post by fw »

Hey!

Okay, I've been brainstorming ideas for my next cocktail drum. Most of my ideas are too outlandish for me to accomplish, but I just figured out a way to make a Trixon style cocktail set--I'm just looking for feasibility feedback.

Anyway, I saw that a guy near me on ebay is selling a Ludwig conga from the 70's. I don't think these things ever go for a ton of money, and I even saw a beautiful mod orange one for sale for a reasonable price.

It dawned on me that a flipped over Ludwig conga would offer something approximating a bass drum head on the bottom, and that I could add a top head for either a snare or tom sound. If I wanted an additional tom, I could try to get a Trixon telstar or Vox fanjet. Since I would be completely mutilating these drums, anyway, I wouldn't really want collector's grade stuff.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever encountered one of these Ludwig congas. I assume there are many reasons why people don't want them. Do you know anything about what head sizes were offered, what the bottom side measurements are, whether it's feasible to mount a head on the bottom of the thing if I get the bearing edges cut, etc? Could the stock head support a bass drum-like tuning?

I think I might be onto something big here. I saw you can buy mod orange wrap now, too. What a great cocktail color.

Will
jmettam
Site Admin

Ludwig Cunga

Post by jmettam »

Hi Will,

I used to have a pair of these. They are VERY light weight (thin shells) and a bit delicate. I believe the top head is 12" and the bottom must be an 8-10" hole. I'm not completely certain. It could make an interesting project for sure. If you get the drum I would play around with the head that is already on there to see if you can make it work as a bass drum. Then move on and see if the other end will fit a standard size head and hoop!

It could be kind of strange but, judging from Peter Lau's results with small drums, if you put in the effort you should be able to make it work!

- John
PETER

Lugwig Conga

Post by PETER »

Hi,Will!
Good to hear that you're going to start this "Project"! You can use 8" Remo White Coated as Snare(Top).As for the Bass,Normally Conga Skin is a bit thicker.May be you can try tune it loose a bit,and attached a........hmmm.....It's a bit diffcult to explain???OK!Just use a Tissue paper fold it to the size like 3"x3",Then use the Masking Tape to stick it to the Conga Head.For easy job,Normally I will remove the Beater from the Pedal,and just hold it with my hand and hit it and the same time slowly tune the conga head either looser or thigher??(sometimes,You may need to add another layer of tissue paper).If you still can't get a good "Bass"sound from it.Try attached a tissue paper with masking tape inside the conga head! :D Hahaha!Will!My english is very funny,Just hope you can get the whole picture!
John!May be you can help me????? :D
fw

Post by fw »

I got it! Thanks, Peter.

I think Ludwig congas either took strange plastic heads made specifically for Ludwig congas or they just took regular plastic heads. I've never seen any with calf heads.

I'm wondering if the opening will be 8" exactly or if I'll need to have some of the bottom cut off the drum when I have the edges cut. I also wonder if the head will seat properly.
dickdog

Post by dickdog »

How is the Ludwig conga comming along. I saw a pair of these for sale. Imight pick them up if it looks like I can do something with them. I am looking into building my first cocktail now. The ludwig conga looks like a cheap start :?: