8" snare head??

milwaukee

8" snare head??

Post by milwaukee »

Has anyone else had to replace the snare-side head on an 8" snare? Where did you get that particular head?

My Club Jordan side snare came from Yamaha with what appeared to be a used head on the snare side, and there may have been a little tear in it when I took delivery because it ripped off the hoop as soon as I tightened one lug.

The place from where I bought the drum had to special-order the head from Yamaha. I'm getting a few extras just in case, but I'd still like to know where such a thing is available. It appears all the major head manufacturers don't make snare side heads smaller than 10", other than the Yamaha stock head. It looks like a rebranded Remo Diplomat, which is flimsier than I'd like to use on the snare side.

Am I the only person here who has had to replace this item?
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

Hey Mil'
Sorry to hear about your problems. When I had mine built, the guy reccomended a 12" snare. I guess he thought getting heads would be a lot easier. I figured with all these smaller snare drums floating around that both heads would be fairly easy to find.
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Yeah that must be frustrating....
You might want to slap on a Remo diplomat clear batter until your order arrives, I can't imagine it would be all to sensitive, but it would get you going.
Also if your local shop has them kicking around from days gone by, Remo used to make typani heads for roto toms - they were made from a very sensitive thin film, and I remember having them even on my smaller rotos (6,8,10).
It might be worth it to ask.
As for me, I guess I'm fortunate to have a 10" snare...
milwaukee

Post by milwaukee »

Yeah, it's a real p***er! :?

My temporary fix was to use a clear Ambassador batter I had "in stock." (My main kit has an 8" tom so I have a couple of heads laying around.) It's one thick snare head! The drum only barely sounds like a snare, but it's close enough for the practice room. I might try this Evans G1 Coated I have, just for grins.

Multi is right, a Diplomat would be lighter; I'd asked at the store for the lightest 8" batter they had but they said they didn't have anything lighter than the Amb.

Anyway, I'll have a couple of extras once they come in so if anyone else on the board finds themselves in this predicament, maybe I'll be able to help you out.

It's too bad I can't just adapt the YESS mount to any of my other snares (not without some serious measuring & drilling, that is.) A 10" or 12" YESS snare would be an expensive luxury.
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

You know this may be getting a bit off topic, but I recently did something unusual to mount a snare....

I was preparing for a gig, and remembered from Joe Palacki's words of wisdom to remember backup items (extra heads, pedal,...). I didn't have an extra p[opcorn snare, so I grabbed my 13" maple piccolo as a backup. Using an LP claw, I clamped it on to the snare rim. Once in place I could easily mount to a 3/8 rod from to the side of my cocktail drum - and, to boot, had some control of positioning and angle. Not my main snare, but a better than nuthin backup.

So story here is that you may be without your 8" snare for a while, but with some ingenuity, a claw-type mount and another (smaller) snaredrum you could be in business....at least until you get your snare heads in from Yamaha.
milwaukee

Post by milwaukee »

multiperc, that's an interesting idea. I have an LP claw and a piccolo snare, but the claw doesn't like the rim that much. (Doesn't clip very well onto the Club Jordan rim either, where it would REALLY come in handy. Boo!) I always bring 2 snares to gigs with the traditional kit. Always; I even carry them in one case. (Fiber case for a 14" tom, with a 16" Sound-Off pad between the two drums. Works perfectly.)

On the snare head front, still no joy. I've got several on order and I'm assured they will arrive this coming Tuesday. We'll see, I guess.

When this is all said and done I ought to have a bunch of extras, so if anyone out there finds themselves in my shoes, get in touch with me and I might save you a lot of waiting for your 8" snare head!
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

I looked at this again. It's a Gibralter claw (or whatever they call it), which does fit a standard triple flanged hoop and is adjustable. Right now I have it attached to the bottom rim of my popcorn snare which holds a small Brazilian tamborim from a standard rod - so I know it does work.
Go to MusiciansFriend or your local music shop and I think you'll find that the Gilbralter model clamps will work just fine. Sorry for the goose chase on the 'LP' brand.
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

I use to think Gibralter was some "el cheapo", johnny-come-lately company that was producing cheaply made parts for a cheap price. Why I thought this, I don't have a clue. I guess because I always thought that their pedals looked like that to me. How wrong could I have been?! I outfitted my Cocktail Kit with all-Gibralter brackets, clamps, and rods. They are the BEST in my book. Everything they make is top-notch and great customer service too. I even bought three of the nice conga stands for my congas and four of their flat base cymbal stands and a flat base snare stand. To me they were head and shoulders above DW's flat base stuff. My $.02 worth.
milwaukee

Post by milwaukee »

Well, the head finally arrived. I actually got two. They look to be extremely fragile - 200 weight heads at most and they look crumpled like a plastic bag.

But, I put one on and it worked, and I have a working side snare again.

Observation: The drum is extremely ringy. I have to use a full Moongel (a lot for an 8" drum) to get the ring to a level where it doesn't dominate the entire sound of the drum, and two Moongels to make most of the ring go away. Anyone have any suggestions on reducing the ring through tuning? I'm going to look for a more muffled batter head for starters.

Now as far as the hardware discussion, don't worry multiperc, there was no goose chase for an LP Claw - I already had one in stock (actually normally use it to mount a drum mic.)

And Mango, couldn't agree more on the Gibraltar hardware. The only complaint is that it's a bit heavy. But I recently bought a Gretsch kit, and they all come with Gib. hardware now. Rock solid, which is a great feeling for me because I've suffered with cheap hardware since I was a kid drummer.
almapercus

Post by almapercus »

I have a coated pinstripe tuned fairly low. No muffling needed for me, but I like a lively sound.
milwaukee

Post by milwaukee »

Yes, I like the open sound but the stock re-branded Ambassadors are just too ringy. I'm going to see if replacing them with the "controlled sound" Remos helps; that's supposed to be just the ticket for ring.
milwaukee

Post by milwaukee »

To bring this back from the dead...

I replaced the Amb on the batter side of the 8" snare with a two-ply coated Aquarian. Nice, focused sound but just too muffled. Sounded OK in the practice room but I think the drum would vanish in a band performance setting...

So I tracked down a coated Amb Controlled Sound, with a single ply and a black dot on the reverse side. It appears to be the happy medium. The drum is still kind of ringy but not overwhelmingly so.

How many of you with the Jordan or a similar kit actually use the 8" snare?
almapercus

Post by almapercus »

I'm using this snare drum for now, but I'll look for something else sooner or later. I think that a 10" snare and a 8" tom would have been a more clever choice from Yamaha. That was the configuration of the Ayotte kit on auction recently and with a 16" main drum, that cocktail kit must be one of a kind.
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

I'm using a 10" PDP maple snare and an 8" tom (single head, 10" deep). Aside from the snare, I built the kit, and although the tom is an odd depth and the big drum is not large (14x24), the combination of dimensions is working really well for me.