Cocktail Cymbals

mangorockfish

Cocktail Cymbals

Post by mangorockfish »

Last night, the Jazz/Standards band I play in, did a high profile benefit gig and I took the Cotail Kit and a set of cymbals that I though would work and Man-O-Man was I ever right. I used, all Bosphorus Masters, a 19" ride @ 1533 g, a 19" flat @ 1540g and a set of 14" hats. They might be a little big for some of your tastes, but it was a big room and they worked great. I hardly played the hats with sticks as the rides sounded so good.

The main drum bass sound was really deep and full, almost like a regular bass drum. However, I had the top head tuned tight and the snares on when I got there and tried tuning it on the fly after I realize it was tune as a snare and I never got that accomplished all night. Anytime there was a break, someone was on the mic making anouncements. Uesd my side snare and played sitting down with a regular high hat.
Not ready to stand up all night and use the main drum as a snare out on a big gig just yet, but it is coming.
Mangorockfish 8)
milwaukee

Post by milwaukee »

Mango, Bosphorus makes some beautiful cymbals. I'm sure they did sound great.

A pair of 19" cymbals seems pretty big for a cocktail kit. Can you post a pic of how it looks? Also, are you using a cable hihat?
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

Hey Mil'
I have to get my wife to post pics for me, but there is one in the Cocktail Kits section of my set up using an 18" crash and a 20" ride. Take a look. Got a lot of compliments on my kit and stares the other night.