In Pursuit of an Open Hihat Sound

Captain Nemo

In Pursuit of an Open Hihat Sound

Post by Captain Nemo »

After setting my drums up, I'm very happy, but I really miss the control of the hihat. I have a nice closed hat sound, but can't figure out what to do about an open sound. I have my 16" ride/crash next to my hat, so I tap the ride when I want an open hat sound. I don't know what else to do. I've read some threads on this and sounds like most use a slightly open set of hats that they make serve both purposes. I tried it, but there are times when you really want that closed sound. I wish I could find a swishy thing that comes close. Maybe I'll have to eventually make something to attach to the snare or something - or buy ANOTHER set of hats that are kept slighty open like when you are playing rock.
David St. Hubbins: It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever.
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

Well that's the rub with the cocktail kit. It forces you to have to change your style and thought process. If you only want to play with one hat but don't want to use a remote hat setup you'll have to learn a whole new world of hurt called dynamics. Even if you have good dynamics the cocktail kit again forces you to learn new ones. What I would suggest is leave your hats a little less tight than you have them and for tight hat sounds play with your stick tip alittle closer up on the hats towards the bell. Then when you need the sloshy sound use only the shaft of the stick towards the edge of the hat. You may never get the sound you want to hear but out front through the PA and rest of the instruments I'm willing to bet you'll have that open hat sound.

Dinkus
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

Dinkus hit it right on. Try it and you'll see that it works. Good luck.
jmettam
Site Admin

Hi Hat Options

Post by jmettam »

As the mind whirs along at the Captain's dilema I remember the old 'double-bass drop clutch':

Granted it is designed for use as a regular , clamped hi hat, or a gravity-closed hi hat. But, if you set it for a nice open sound and then release the clutch, perhaps you will get a closed sound you like?

Try it out Captain. If you let your hi hats sit closed without tightening the clutch do you get a closed sound that you like? If so, this just may do the trick!

- John

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=446054
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the 'double bass hihat clutch' pic. Somebody showed me the exact thing today, but that wasn't the solution for me.

I got a regular hihat that is on a boom - no pedal or stand part. I put the top hat in a regular clutch. But the bottom has a screw thing that raises or lowers the bottom hat. Now, this may not be necessary to my new TECHNIQUE, but it is what I am using.

But here's the ticket: You get the hats slightly, very slightly, separated for a sloshy sound. Many of you have mentioned this. But the tapping by the center of the top hat just don't cut it for me. What I did is CLASP the hats (both) with my left hand when I want a closed sound!

If you think about it, you don't need to play a hat on 2 and 4, so no need to strike it. For most basic beats, you can keep your left hand on the hat. Now, what is cool is releasing your hand for that open sound.....and, you can choke that sound off just when you want. IT IS QUITE FUNKY MY FRIENDS.

Give it a try!!

I also got a ride today. I was going to use the 16" Stagg for a ride/crash, but it wasn't cutting it in the ride department - too thin. So, I got a REAL HEAVY 16" Zildgian marching band cymbal!! This thing weighs a ton. But this is good because the ride won't 'roar' on you when you start hitting it a lot. Nice stick definition and it is still in keeping with the 'cocktail concept' -----IT IS SMALL.
David St. Hubbins: It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever.