Flat Side Drums

mangorockfish

Flat Side Drums

Post by mangorockfish »

I've noticed that alot of you guys have your side drums mounted flat. I have my snare flat because I'm right over it, but if I mount my tom flat, I always manage to hit the rim in a fast fill so it is at a slight angle.
Mango'
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Interesting...

Part of cocktailing for me is discovering and developing new approaches to my drumming style. While my setup centers around the big drum, I use the side snare most of the time. Therefore there is a close tie to a trad setup. However, I don't angle my trad drums in this manner at all - I see this as a different approach altogether.

Having all the drums so close (and rather small) gives me an opportunity to see what the setup can pull from my playing, in a manner of speaking. My side tom and currently my tambourim, are both mounted flat and are at slightly different elevations. My snare is angled barely toward me, only by a minimal bend on the arm it's on. The whack here is that I also put the 3rd leg (out front at 12 oclock) a tick higher than the other 2 so the whole mess is angled toward me by a degree or 2.

As far as hitting the rims (ie rimshot) on the flat positioned drums, yeah it's more possible, but it's also one of the sounds available. What I enjoy is being an altogether different player on this kit.