Traditional or match grip?

Captain Nemo

Traditional or match grip?

Post by Captain Nemo »

Now that I'm playing standing I have a choice again between traditional grip or match grip. At first with the snare drum right up there, I went back to 'concert snare' traditional position and felt pretty good about it.

But now that I'm practicing the rudiments upstairs while watching TV, seems like I get a more even sound with the match grip. I'm about as fast either way, but there is a more even quality to the match grip.

How about you guys? Which way do you go? Any pros and cons about one way over the other?
David St. Hubbins: It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever.
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

does this have to do with cocktailing? maybe. ok, I'll bite...

If you play rudiments and that's a part of your style, which grip feels more comfortable doing those? Which grip sounds more even and/or articulate with any kind of sticking (you've kinda answered this)? Which grip affords more possibillities in your overall playing? Which grip allows for better dynamics and more musicality? Does one grip work better than the other when playing full kit (using your foot/feet)?

Ages ago I was fairly proficient with rudiments, and actually liked the lopsided effect trad grip afforded to my swing playing. studied timpani and did more mallet percussion and fully abandoned the trad grip in all my playing for the benefiits of matched. My swing playing didn't suffer and all my other playing opened up. That's just me.
almapercus

Post by almapercus »

I play matched grip on the coctail kit and more often trad on a regular set.
As for mallet technique, on the other side the use of the Burton four mallet grip in the left hand is very close of the trad grip. Watch the rotation of the thumb side mallet when the sticks are crossed at 45 degrees. Playing traditional on the snare helps this mallet technique and vice-versa.