Add an pearl popcorn snr. 10"-6" to my club jordan

jottesen

Add an pearl popcorn snr. 10"-6" to my club jordan

Post by jottesen »

Hello everyone

sometimes could I use a little more snaresound than my 8"-5" club jordan comes up with. :idea:

Then I have this pearl popcorn 10"-6" snr. a very nice drum , but much more weigth , could it be a problem (abouth 2,5 kg the pearl drum) :?: :?: :?:
then I need a tom system, should I mount a yess system and drill to holes i the drum :?: :twisted: or use a rims but the weigth again :?: or should I sell the drum and buy a Peter Erskine yamaha 10"-4" or 12"-4" snr.dr. or .............................................
any one :?: :?: :?: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :lol: :lol: :lol:

have a nice day
Jesper
Pat McNeil

Post by Pat McNeil »

Hi Jesper,

I have no experience w/Rims, so I can't comment there, but I weighed similar alternatives to yours. My snare is 10 x 5 and fairly heavy. I thought about drilling the shell but decided against it. So, I have a cymbal stand that holds the snare drum and a 10" splash.

Perhaps someone's done something similar re: drilling the shell. Personally, I'd avoid doing it for fear of damaging the resale value, but that may not be an issue for you.

Pat
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

Well Jesper, I have the Peter Erskine picolino 10 by 4 which came with the yess mount that works great. The nice thing about this snare is that it sounds much deeper and bigger than you would think. I love the punch that it has.

On the other hand, there are plenty of thin snares that could be had used without spending to much money. I wouldn't be afraid of drilling them and cranking them up for a tight sound if you like that.

I prefer a deeper snare sound most of the time.
David St. Hubbins: It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever.
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

You can check out the aluminum RIMS mounts, they don't weigh much or one of the Gibralter claws for mounting your snare.

John," jmettam", put a RIM on his main drum and mounts stuff off it via claws, and this guy has a lot of stuff on his kit. Check out the pics of it.
Mango' 8)
jottesen

Post by jottesen »

:D Hey there
Thanks for the reply?s.

Pat: I like to have everythings on the main drum, but to check the drum and sound
I will try.

Capt. Nemo : do you now how much the weight are for the 10"-4" PE Yamaha
snr. durm you got :?: I like a medium to high pitch snr. sound, but some times
the volume of the Jordan 8"-5" isn?t enough

Mango: I have watching John Mettan?s picture for day?s, but maybe those aluminium
rims could do the job.

have a nice day :D
Jottesen
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

Jesper my man,

I tried to find the exact weight of the PE 10" snare. Handling it, it seems light to me, but I have not handled small snares before. Certainly way lighter than a 14. But, it is a solid maple drum. The drum is quite loud. It can be tuned low or high - which surprises me. It comes with handy Yess mounts for a cymbal stand.

You can actually go to Peter Erskines's website and go to his forum and ask him! Here is the link:

http://petererskine.com/
David St. Hubbins: It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever.
tikifreak

Post by tikifreak »

Jesper,
I believe I have the same snare of which you speak: Pearl Maple Memphis Popcorn Snare 10" x 6" deep (SM 1060, I think). I bought a Yamaha YESS mount and added it to the shell. Don't worry about drilling, the YESS mount comes with a drilling guide that you tape on the side of the shell to help you position the holes properly, and may have even included the drill bit (I can't remember). Also, the YESS mount is actually two parts that have to be purchased together to make the entire assembly: the older 4-bolt shell mount assembly, and the YESS bracket that has only 2 bolts through the shell. Make sure you get both.

I can't say how much heavier this drum is than the Club Jordan 8" snare. I wouldn't think that it would weigh much more than the 10" Club Jordan tom, so I'd say "Go for it!" The YESS mount would almost have to be lighter than a RIMS mount, wouldn't it?

Another .02 worth: the factory Remo heads on the Pearl snare are killer, but after the Ambassador batter lost most of its coating, I switched to a Fyberskyn 3 on top, and I like the sound of it with brushes or sticks. That head makes the drum sound like a larger shell drum, if that's what you're after. Almost a bongo tone with the snares switched off. 10" heads are cheap, so give it a try. That little Pearl is a killer !
jottesen

Post by jottesen »

Thanks to all for reply.

:D :D :D

I think I will get a yess system and give it try.

When the drums are finish I will send some pictures

have a great time

jesper 8)