Symmetrical Drum Kit

jmettam
Site Admin

Symmetrical Drum Kit

Post by jmettam »

OK, it has nothing to do with Cocktail Drums except possibly that it is a solution to cutting down on unneccesary gear to lug around. But hey, it's my site!

I thought some of you might enjoy the Symmetrical Drumkit! My wife and I did a gig together where we would swap off drumming-percussion duties as well as both play drums at the same time for the Big Bits. Since she is a lefty and I'm a righty it seemed silly to bring two entire drum kits so we decided to share the floor tom and ride cymbal and spread the kits out from there. It worked out great and was a real blast!

Plus it just looks cool! Enjoy.

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

That's real togetherness. Pretty cool idea. I guess we can forgive you for sitting down on the job.
David St. Hubbins: It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever.
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Brilliant! You both look great playing together too. What does your combined efforts sound like? Any recordings?
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

John, I love ya man, but she is better lookin". Where's the eye patch?
Cool idea. Did you two ever do a fill and meet in the middle? :lol:
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

Were you goin fishing after the gig?
PETER

Post by PETER »

Hey,John!
Wow!!!!You're very lucky to have a "Drummer"wife! :lol:
Peter
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

really showing the geek factor here, but...
tell us about the drums and cymbals you're both using. Your wife's drums appear smallish and yours have a mystery vintage finish. What percussion do you both play? Do you do other gigs like this? Does you wife play cocktail?
And to echo Peter, you are lucky to have a drummin wife, how freakin cool.
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Wow, where do I begin to answer all of these questions!?!
mangorockfish wrote:Did you two ever do a fill and meet in the middle? :lol:
Yes! That was the funniest part of this setup, trying to figure out how to tell the other person "Ok, YOU go for it and I won't hit the floor tom" while your playing!
multiperc wrote:What does your combined efforts sound like? Any recordings?
It sounded really cool because of the percussion/kit layering AND we both have pretty different sounds/feels then playing both kits together was a rockfest! No recordings with this setup so far...
Captain Nemo wrote:Were you goin fishing after the gig?
Yes!
PETER wrote:Wow!!!!You're very lucky to have a "Drummer"wife!
Yes, I AM!
multiperc wrote:tell us about the drums and cymbals you're both using. Your wife's drums appear smallish and yours have a mystery vintage finish. What percussion do you both play? Do you do other gigs like this? Does you wife play cocktail?
The kits are 8x12,16x16,14x20 Ludwig Standard in Blue Strata finish (I have a bunch of these drums, another obsession of mine) and a mixed bag Pearl 14x18, Rogers 8x12. Snares Yamaha 5x14 steel and a slingerland 5x14 maple (60s). Cymbals are also mixed but possibly all Zildjian 20" A ride (60s), 14" A crash (60s), 18" Custom A crash, misc Hi-Hats.

The Ludwig Standards were a 'Student' Line from the 60s made to compete with the new Japanese kits. The drums are regular Ludwig Maple shells (3ply) with different lighter weight hardware and finishes. For a while you could get these really cheap. They're still not bad if you nby singles from eBay.

The percussion on this gig was mostly shakers, tamborine, vibraslap, etc. It was a singer-songwriter, rock gig. We did a couple with this group but none since. We keep talking about doing a drum duet recording.

I don't think she has played Cocktail Kit yet! She probably feels like it's my bag...

Thanks for all the Interest!

- John
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

I had a girlfriend with great rhythm once, but her bag was dancing. AND BOY COULD SHE DANCE!!! She could stop the show with her dancing. So this was the best thing for me as a drummer doing a gig. I could look out and see her shaking it. The best. One time I was in a top 40 band playing to a bunch of drunks and somebody was out there dancing with her. Ok, that was fine. Then he started touching her.....

I stopped playing and stood up. The band stopped playing 'Back in Black.' And all the people on the floor looked up at the stage. I pointed at the guy and said, "Keep your goddamn hands off my girlfriend."

Sat down and we continued.....true story. :lol: