what music style(s) are you playing on your cocktail kit?

ak1000

Post by ak1000 »

hello
thanks for your kind comment.im going to build a simple bass drum with the snare on top.i think theres one in the gallery,or i may turn the bass on its side not sure yet.
all the best adam uk
Pat McNeil

Post by Pat McNeil »

Well, I don't really play much yet, (just learning drumming now) but I do have two fairly unique uses for my cocktail kit. Purists may wish to hide at this point!

First - I've built a sample library of my kit & used that for various productions I've been involved in. I just liked the sound of the kit & wanted it available when I travel so other drummers can trigger it via pads or it can be loaded into a sampler.

Second & more important : I'm not really a pop music guy in my own work. (You can visit http://www.patmcneil.org to hear what I do. Mostly experimental electronic & more traditional chamber music.) However, I just finished a piece for tape & solo percussionist. It occurred to me that the cocktail kit would be an *ideal* setup for executing this piece.

Could this be the first ever avant-garde concert piece for cocktail drum? :) Concerto for cocktail drums! Yeah!!

If anyone's interested, I can make the score & tape part available to them. Send me a message via my page & we can discuss.

Take care all!

Pat
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

The vibes and clarinet stuff sounds pretty good. I could 'see' that in a movie. Has an 'indy' movie feel to it. Well recorded too.
David St. Hubbins: It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever.
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Hey Pat

I think it's cool that you've sampled your kit. In fact, I've done the same and I also record loops as part of some of my practice. So this stuff sure doesn't offend this purist!

Incidently, I do a good amount of composing myself and some of it is in abstract realms; though I haven't done anything that features the cocktial...at least yet.
magit2002

what type muzic

Post by magit2002 »

Hi guys im a bit new to this site :oops: just got me cocktail kit,hope to play the same style on that as i am on my tradish kits im a bit of an all rounder (do a lot of dep work) play for 4 total dif style bands from rock,jazz ,funk ,r&b ,pop & so on, yes there is rockabilly in there aswell , just sorting the kit to suit me at the moment (left handed)just the addons .
Ive been brouzing round the site to get some idears bin a great help in lots of ways
Im a bit of a volume freek,wat i meen is .....more volume lighter playing....
As you might aready no im from england & there is no one in my town that uses a kit like this on gigs so far so i hope i start a trend ,there all same old same old
The other 2 kits i have 20" bd kit 5peace & a hip gig 16" bd 4peace gr8 sounds from both hope i can get the same frm me cocktail.