what music style(s) are you playing on your cocktail kit?

multiperc

what music style(s) are you playing on your cocktail kit?

Post by multiperc »

What kind or styles of music are you playing on your cocktail kits? For those who also play trad kits and/or percussion (or other instruments), when do you decide to go cocktail?

I've noticed several players mentioning that their cocktail drum/kit sound better in lower volume situations. Some prefer rods over sticks when either would do. What works for your style of playing?

I've been playing with a singer/songwriter who's recently formed a show band. The music blends folk, blues and some swing. Also references narrative song style from the sixties. The music is on the simple side and is relatively low volume. This project seems ideal for cocktail because my kit has a very different sonority from my trad kits, it looks cool in this context, and is a joy to move to rehearsals.

In this setting there are some songs that almost require more volume and the powerful sound of a trad kit. But with judicious sparse, fat playing (and also I'm mic'd) I'm squeeking by on those more powerful songs. As you can imagine, a 'softish' kick sound and small popcorn snare is a tough choice for a heavier tune.
palacki808

styles

Post by palacki808 »

I haven't been here in awhile, wow there's been alot of activity. Anyway, I do alot of jazz and swing with my cocktail set. As of recently I have also been doing rockabilly, country and folk music.

-Joe
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

Mostly Rock and Country.

Dinkus
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

It will be a week or so before I actually start working with another musician - and that will be mainly blues......but my thing is making my little kit sound just like a big set. Lately I've been playing along with Led Zeppelin and getting that sort of sound - except for the double bass drum licks that is.
David St. Hubbins: It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever.
mangorockfish

Re: styles

Post by mangorockfish »

palacki808 wrote:I haven't been here in awhile, wow there's been alot of activity. Anyway, I do alot of jazz and swing with my cocktail set. As of recently I have also been doing rockabilly, country and folk music.

-Joe
Hey Joe,
Let me be the first to welcome you back. Missed you,. However, we have a couple of new guys, Capt. Nemo and Multiperc, that have really been keeping the board hot. They post something new every day, which is great and seem to be really into the Cocktail Kit thing. BTW, FW hasn't posted in a while either.

I play mostly jazz/standards at high profile gigs, or as I call them "hoity-toity" affairs. I also use it sometimes with my regular band that plays original Americana music. These are both usually acoustic or low volumn gigs.
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Hi Joe
Good to hear you back. You've shared some wisdom in past posts that has helped me immensely as I got started on my cocktial journey. Thanks for that.
palacki808

thanks

Post by palacki808 »

Thank you for the welcome back Mango. And thanks to Multiperc for the kind words. I've learned so much from this forum, I'm really happy to hear that I could give a little back and help someone.

It seems we're growing in our ranks. Its nice to see more drummers playing cocktail drums.

A carpenter/drummer I know has built himself a little 10" snare from walnut and its quite the mean little drum. He offered to build me one as well if I would help him and pay for supplies. He isn't a cocktail drummer, but he's played mine on several occasions and he definitely enjoys it. If he builds himself a cocktail set I'll be certain to send him here to sign up.

Long live the cocktail!

-Joe
jmettam
Site Admin

Re: thanks

Post by jmettam »

palacki808 wrote:Long live the cocktail!
Ah, now you're talkin'

Welcome from me as well!

- John
PETER

style

Post by PETER »

with Fingerstyle guitar player.I play mostly swing,Jazz,Bossa.With Jazz-Trio(Guitar,Bass,Drum)we play jazz.I miss Jazz Fusion very much(Casiopea,T-Square,Yellow-jacket etc)Though of calling back my Fusion friends to jam with my cocktail drum! :D
Peter Lau
ricky

what kind of music styles

Post by ricky »

Right now I want to do a rock/punk psychobilly band{still having trouble gettin this thing together}The songs I write now are all on acoustic guitar,so sometimes they go off in a totally different direction,I'll keep everyone posted on the progress{or lack there of} of the project.
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

I've played a lot of serious stuff, including symphony, but what I REALLY like to do is mix up styles in a comical way. I like to but a Brazilian beat onto a country song, or make heavy metal into swing, or play rockabilly with gothic rock......that sort of thing. I'm at that stage in life where I don't take myself seriously anymore and just want a bit of a laugh as often as possible.
David St. Hubbins: It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever.
ak1000

Post by ak1000 »

hello john and everyone
havnt been here for a while.im playing rockabilly punk with a mexican twist(sounds like a cocktail)on my homemade kit in a band called the speedkings in the uk.glad to see this site is going strong.
all the best
adam
ak1000
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Adam,

Welcome back! Nice to know our old friends are still out there Cocktailing away!

- John
ak1000

Post by ak1000 »

hello sir
yes im still cocktailing and about to start another project.
adam
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Alright Adam! I remember your clever homemade kit from a while back. What's the new music project about?