being versatile: conversion spurs

jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Danmar Kick Riser 89.50 at drummaker.com

Hey drummaker.com also has a system for a small drum with wood hoops on both sides!

Pretty cool!

Yeah,if you don't want to drill go for the Danmar or use the Pearl Jungle Jig with your rims floor tom mount. I imagine it will work fine.

My 12x15 kick is an old Ludwig tenor drum that was already fairly beaten up so I didn't mind drilling into it. It is a great sounding shell and works great! You can still find a lot of these on ebay pretty cheap.I think that every high school in america had these drums for their marching bands form 1950 onward!

- John
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Thanks yet again John!

The spurs look very similar to what I was eyeing on the Radio King Combo as shown in the gallery. Instead of retracting to adjust for different shell diameters, they swing out. Would work nicely on my 14x27 boomer and on the 16x16 - if I got a wood hoop for it.

Danmar Kick Riser price is the best I've found - where in stock. Thankyou for pointing it out. Does the Lounge have a shop-through with Drummaker.com? Their site is rather clumsy but they sure do have a ton of stuff relevant to many of us here.

Getting way off topic here, but the Trixon combo and cocktail sets in the gallery are making me crazy! As a teenager I had a friend who moved to the states from Germany. He had this poorly-made kit that may have been a Trixon, but it wasn't one of the bizzaro kits. It's long been an absurd obsession of mine to have one or some of those drums. I can't imagine you'd have much tuning range or stability, but what an odd slice of drumming style! Uber.
jmettam
Site Admin

Trixon

Post by jmettam »

Yeah, Trixon's are cool!

I had to stay away from them otherwise I would have another drum collection just for those!

JM
jmettam
Site Admin

Danmar Kick Riser

Post by jmettam »

Hey All,

Just came across this:

On ebay right now 5/27/06

Starting bid $25 + $15 shipping

Normally sells for around $90 new

http://cgi.ebay.com/Danmar-Bass-Drum-To ... dZViewItem
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Thanks John
I still haven't gotten this together, so this is good timing! I'll keep my eye on this auction....
Lori

Post by Lori »

I have a Danmar Tom Kick Riser just like that.

multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Kool, Lori

That's pretty much what I'd like to do with this. Do you move this kit around? If so, how compactly does the kickriser fold up and what do you carry it in?

It seems to be half the price of the DW cradle (which can hold other sized and odd shaped drums, like a djembe. But I have to determine whether those capabilites are worth the expense.

Does your (swirl) tom sound good on this cradle? I suspect it does since nothing is grounding it. How are you tuning it? Have you tried any other sized drums other than (what looks to be) your 16x16?

And John, I didn't win the auction you so kindly posted. Boo. I'll probably hunker down and buy one of these when the need rises to the fore.
Lori

Post by Lori »

It is a 16"x16" , It sounds amazing!

the Danmar tom kick riser will accomidate 13" to 18" toms. As for mine I keep the drum on it all the time. I like quick set up.
jmettam
Site Admin

DW Kick riser on Ebay

Post by jmettam »

Hey,

There's one of the DW Kick Risers on ebay now! Ends Jun-18-06 20:00:00 PDT

http://cgi.ebay.com/DW-Tom-Kick-Cradle- ... dZViewItem
multiperc

birth of a new microkit

Post by multiperc »

Never did end up getting a kick riser, instead have been playing mostly on the cocktail kit....lovin it.

BUT this past weekend I scored a maple (veneer) Premier floor tom to dedicate for jungle/microkit use. Within a couple of hours I pieced together a usable, but probably temporary, pedal attachment and riser plate and reused some old lugwig swing-down spurs (that fit in the Premier leg mounts) Bingobongo, the start of a new kit for $5! Not a bad start.

Question to all of you who have had experience with small horizontal bass drums: What are some of your fave head/tuning combinations?

Note I have a 16x16 vertical espresso type setup as well and I use that kit tuned rather low and boomy. I'd like to get a different sound for this drum (horizontal position), one that I can easily tune either higher or lower given the application. I can easily go with my standby head choices and tuning approaches but would like to consider something perhaps different.

Suggestions? Evans/Aquarian/Remo combinations? Fiberskin3? wack tunings?