Anyone own a GP Percussion Cocktail Kit?

jmettam
Site Admin

Anyone own a GP Percussion Cocktail Kit?

Post by jmettam »

I always see GP Percussion (Global Pro) Cocktail Kits for sale on eBay. Usually there is just one small picture form far away. Currently there is a kit up there that has several pictures including close-ups. Granted, the pictures are still pretty crappy, but you can acutally make out things like the wood grain and the hardware. I have to say, the hardware looks pretty decent on this drum. Certainly compared to the hardware on the Excel Sonic Traveller that is also posted.

Any one have any experience with these drums?

Thanks,

John

Killer B

GP Persussion

Post by Killer B »

I own this kit. Unfortunately the maple kit was not available when I bought my kit on E-Bay. The drum shells and drum wrap on the non-maple kit are of low quality but the hardware on this kit is pretty decent. I would definitely go for the maple kit. All and all these kits are worth the money in my opinion. I have my kit posted on this site (Bryan Brundell?s cocktail kit).
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Thanks Brian,

It looks like these lower end kits are just getting better and better.

- JM
Oude Drummer

Post by Oude Drummer »

Looks very much like my cheapo Keiper kit. Mine is black though. Same bass pedal, same everything. Cymbals are "symbolic".
Pedal is very good, rest of the hardware is still alive after 4 nights of rehearsals. Sound of bass drum is impressive, muffled it a bit with a rag.
Tom is fine and the little snare is nice and brite with a new Ambassador. The original skins are a bit flimsy and to slippery for brushes, I want to replace the other ones as well.
One gripe I have: rimshots kill your sticks in minutes. The edges are extremely sharp. So I put a little tape on the edges that I would normally hit.
Cowbell works.
Modification: fitted a brush inside the bass drum under the top to mimick a snare. I used the mechanism of an old Pearl tom damper. Muffless the sound a bit and gives a nice effect when playing with brushes.
Also fitted a support for a splash cymbal. This little Zildjian cost me (10 years ago) as much as the whole cocktail outfit...
magit2002

Post by magit2002 »

hi guys i got the simlar sort of kit off ebay in a wine green looks nice yes the hardware prty good changed a few bits like the snare drum to a 10" not the 8" so i dont miss lol just messing with it to get the sound im after
magit2002

Post by magit2002 »

Image think its right jus found a pic
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Magit,

Thanks for the pic. It does look like the same drum rebranded. Do you know where they are selling these?

Thanks!

John
magit2002

Post by magit2002 »

mine was a bargin on ebay.co.uk cheep ?150 but there ?250 now when i last looked , there a compny in germany but they have an outlet in the uk which was a bonuse 4 me ,there is a ware house in london that sell simler i think its in maple 2 dif colours 4 ?210 delved il have a look for the booklet that i see it in and pass on the web sit to you all if it helps by the way my name is Keith
magit2002

refit

Post by magit2002 »

as you no im still finding me feet and taken my cocktail kit most places that i play, it has made peeps look twice and after the gig ,thay need to have a go , but things needed to be changed the fittings to hold the tom,share & legs are not that good so ive changed them to gibroter the space between the sqrews are egzact just a bit tight so enlarged slight wiith file ,good as gold, made it that bit more sturdy without the legs moving round with the added locks its bin worth while ,,,,my advice do it , bye 4 now sorting out me cocktail ....hagd all Keith
Oude Drummer

Post by Oude Drummer »

Alas, I'm slowly watering down my cocktail. My knees are killing me after 30 minutes of stand up drumming. And I need my knees for other things as well. Now I'm sitting on a barstool and even use a Hihat with 10" Wuhan splashes. But I'm still not comfortable. As an alternative a Gigpig comes into sight. www.gigpig.org My band loves the low volume of the cocktail set and I hope to find an alternative.