Cocktail Kit & Congas

mangorockfish

Cocktail Kit & Congas

Post by mangorockfish »

Told my wife tonight that I think I'm going to start playing my Cocktail Kit and/or Congas exclusively. Retire the regular drum set for a while. Just think that I need a change of pace. Any comments?
Mangorockfish
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

hey mango

Interesting, but wondering why you'd completely forgo your trad kit? You can tell by my posts that I'm big on so much about the cocktail kit and it's sounds and it's origins and overall it's possibilites....BUT as a percussionist (too), the cocktail kit and for that matter the trad kit and/or congas all are possible ways to skin a musical cat.

You and your wife must be tight on this issue - what was her reaction? I remember you're a part-sitting, sometimes-standing cocktailer - is this move to evolve youself physically to all-standing? Are you taking on exclusive gigs (or other work) that will be decidedly better for cocktail? Is there something about the combination of conga and cocktail that makes you abhor the trad kit? Is retiring your trad drums beneficial to you or your musical partners in some way?

I could easily go on with philostofizing (thanks, FrankZ) and throwing out leading questions, but I'm ultimately wondering: why would you ditch trad drums?

For me cocktailing is a thing in itself, but I've found several instances where I attempted to use my cocktail kit and found the song (as arranged or produced) would have been better suited by the range, power and volume afforded from a biigger trad kit. Same case with recording, but perhaps sometimes in reverse (I've opted for cocktail as an alternate sound to a more traditional drum sound, and it was a way cool solution). Yes cocktailing is a sound, a vibe, and different way of thinking, but it's also the paintbrush you're using. For me, at least, since I play a range of music, the question does come down to 'why you'd limit yourself?'

Now what do you think of all of this?
ricky

ditching the trad kit?

Post by ricky »

I can understand why you may want to play the cocktail kit exclusivly,probably convinience warrents it.I think the shift from trad kits to a cocktail does take some adjusting,and there are different sounds and techniques you apply differently when switching over.The cool thing is that you can go back and forth between the two,anytime you want.Have fun.
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Ricky offers 2 important points. The first is convenience and that's a big one for anyone who's schlepped gear. The other is about particular adjustments one makes in their playing when moving to the cocktail kit.

I must admit that what I've learned about my playing in 'adjusting' to a cocktail kit, has been invaluable and a benefit to all of my playing. That's not something to be ingnored.
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

The music I play or the band(s) I play with can tolerate either/or Cocktail Kit or trad. kit, so I have decided to take a long needed break from the trad. kit as my main axe and concentrate on the Cocktail Kit and/or my congas. I will always have a trad. set set-up but for gigging, I'm going to try to go Cocktail "most of the way", if not "all the way" to start. I just need something new and different to inspire me again. Hope this makes since.
Mango'
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Sure does make sense.
A significant concept shift can be very inspiring - good luck and have fun!
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

I'm with all of you!

There are many reasons to play Cocktail or trafitional kit!

As some of you know, I am planing on getting a Club Jordan soon.This move is intentionally to give me more opportunities to play Cocktail where a regular kit sound is needed.

My main setup is a single Slingerland 24x14 drum with the internal snare. It works great for a lot of things but there are those gigs where I need the toms and a more traditional snare & kick sound. The Jordan should fit the bill for a lot of those types of gigs.

I will most likely swap out the snare with something larger (Jordon has an 8" snare) and do some other tweaking. I am really excited about this move. I have played Cocktiail Drum quite a lot and in different situations but I think that this will open up yet another world for me.

For me there are plenty of motivations. Schlepp is no small factor! Of course I love the uniqueness of playing a Cocktail Kit. I am VERY comfortable gigging on a Cocktail so that makes it easy. Plus, I want to represent wherever possible!

At this point, I would say that wherever it is appropriate, I prefer to use a Cocktail Kit on a gig. I can definitely see where Mango is coming from.

- John
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

John, thanks for your support. You will love the new Jordan. That is basically what mine is only Phattie-built and a couple of extra toms. I think you will do well using a larger snare when called for. Mine is a 12" and works great with the rest of "the family".
Mango'