Sabian Picante Crash as cocktail cymbal

milwaukee

Sabian Picante Crash as cocktail cymbal

Post by milwaukee »

A local shop has a used 16" Picante "hand crash" in nice shape. Looks like it could be an ideal cocktail drum cymbal. The center is unlathed and provides what looks to be a good bell sound and a dry ride sound. The edge area is designed to be crashed by hand - I wonder how it would respond to light sticking or rods/brushes.

Someone posted some time ago a theory that timbale cymbals might be good for cocktail kits because they 'do it all.'

What do you all think?

jmettam
Site Admin

Picante Crash

Post by jmettam »

That cymbal looks cool! I have a Sabian duo ride which is the same concept. A little heavy for a proper crash but it's an 18" cymbal.

Have you played this cymbal?

How much are they asking for it?

Thanks for the heads up,

John
milwaukee

Post by milwaukee »

I was shopping for something else at the time, and didn't have much time to give it a spin. I crashed it with my hand and it sounds very rich that way...

They want $99 for it. Maybe a little much for a used one (new is around $150, I guess) but if it sounds good it'll be worth it.

If I don't pull the trigger I'll post info here about where to find this specimen.
milwaukee

Post by milwaukee »

I played the cymbal in the store a bit and it didn't blow me away.

When I strike the edge with my hand, it's a gorgeous warm, full sound, really a nice, mellow crash. I tried it with a few different sticks & rods, though, and I didn't care for the sound nearly as much.

The unlathed part is just not dry enough to get an authentic ride sound, I think. The bell is less distinct than I imagined it would be, too.

Not a piece of junk though - I still might buy it just to experiment for a while. If anyone else is more interested than I am, here's the link. It's a Music-Go-Round special...

http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/invent ... ?id=438056

Now, I know that cymbal exists in 16" and 18" versions. I'd be willing to bet the 18" is better than this one. Hmm...

Has anyone tried the 18" Zildj. Azuka timbale cymbal? That's another multipurpose cymbal I'd like to check out for this application.
2kind

Post by 2kind »

Give Sabian AAX Plosion crash a try. It's available in variety of sizes, has a nice washy crash sound (quite short sustain, though) and that "powerful" bell area. I'm not sure about its riding capabilities, but at least you get two out of three - full crashy sound and an articulate bell-sound.
Just say ho.
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

fw

Post by fw »

The prototype 14" Sabain made for me a the vault tour is a duo type cymbal based on the picante design. For me, it's made a great crash/ride/bell cymbal for cocktail playing. But I played some of the earlier picante prototypes, and this one doesn't have the hand sound those had--it doesn't open up as readily. I think mine is more similar to the duo crash.