acrylic shells

multiperc

acrylic shells

Post by multiperc »

Anyone here using vistalite (or similar acrylic) shells in any of your kits or cocktail kits?

I'm looking into building a couple of drums with small-ish shells to use either in a micro kit or with my cocktail kit. I don't have any experience with acrylic-shell drums, other than a fibes snare decades ago, and wonder how that sound might complement (or not) my maple cocktail kit. Any thoughts or experiences in this arena?
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

I looked and priced out a shell for a cocktail kit but stopped thinking about it once I realized that I would need to dampen the kick and that would look terrible. A clean shell with no dampening would look killer. Maybe one could trigger it, who knows

Dinkus
fw

Post by fw »

Couldn't you hide most of the dampening just by taping the heads? Of course, that's a big chance to take--buying an expensive shell and building an expensive drum not knowing if muffling the heads would do the trick..

At the very least, I bet you'd need to vent the shell.

Or, what if the top head is the floor tom, not the snare?
fw

Post by fw »

Oh, about the toms--I heard it's a lot trickier to drill acrylic than to drill wood--there's the risk of splitting the shell. I think the sound would probably be fine with maple--the look might be weird.
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

I imagine that the risk of splitting the shell is greater, but does anyone know tricks to drilling acrylic shells?

I'm thinking of building a 10" snare and a very small kick drum. The snare would be for the cocktail kit and the kick for a micro kit (also used with the snare). Since the acrylic shell isnt' for a cocktail drum, porting wouldn't be an issue and the biggest challenge would be the muffling on the small kick, but there are plenty of clear/translucent bass drums so it's been done before.

I guess it might be considered weird-looking be by some, but I think a coke-bottle green side snare with a natural maple cocktail drum might look rather nice! I was wondering what the sound combination would be like - I consider acrylic to be a bit harder and louder sounding than wood which, factoring it's size (5x10), would be probably ok with a 24x14 maple cocktail drum.
fw

Post by fw »

Would the volume difference between the tom and the cocktail set be too great? It might make more sense to make the tom out of mahogany, unless your cocktail set is loud. Of course, it's all about technique anyway.

I know drilling is easier with tape covering the drill marks--it helps prevent messy drill holes. I've also heard with acrylic that you should get the best bits you can buy--diamond tipped, for instance. Also, I think acrylic drilling needs to be done a little at a time to avoid the build up of too much heat--don't try to drill through in one pass. I'd also imagine you wouldn't want to push down on the shell too hard as you drill--don't force the bit into the shell.

I'd imagine the shell provider will offer drilling tips. You could also just pay them to drill. Wood forgives mistakes a bit more easily than acrylic does.

Good luck!

Will
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Thanks Will

I actually did ask the manufacturer and have not gotten a substantial reply, so these are some good points to direct questions to.

BTW, it's not a tom I want to build, but a 5x10 side snare to use with my maple cocktail drum. And the small kick will be for a separate micro kit (which will include the small snare as well).

Do you have any first hand experience working with these shells?
fw

Post by fw »

Nope--just maple and maple/poplar/mahogany. I bet the sound will be nice on an acrylic popcorn drum.

Have you thought about just buying one? There are a few companies that make acrylic popcorn snares for about the same price it would take to make one. I know that's less romantic or fun, but still--a lot of suppliers really price gouge when you buy all the parts separately.
jmettam
Site Admin

Vistalite

Post by jmettam »

I'm sure you guys remember this, but just in case...

Check out RCI Starlite. Makers of Acrylic Drums:

http://www.rcistarlite.com/coffeehousekit.htm

I would think that they could give you lots of info and opinions.

- John

multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Woohoo. Makin me want to sing in 4-part haromony!

Thanks, John. RCI is who I'm thinking of going to for the snare shell. I haven't yet gotten concise answers on how to approach drilling but I'll be using Will's ideas as a checklist.

Will, I'm actually thinking of this more as an experiment and plan to simply swap out the shell on the popcorn snare I already have. I also may add a maple top rim. If the result sounds good without having to use more than a couple of standard vents, I plan to build a micro bass drum. The rest of my cocktail kit will stay maple!