fw

do you guys know anything about these?

Post by fw »

They might be of service to us...

muahahahahahaha.

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/521 ... shape.html
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

I'm not sure that there the same things I have or not but if they are, they are basically a practice pad. I have a few cheap trigger in mine that I never use. This reminds me, maybe it's time to unload some of this.

Dinkus
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

fw

Post by fw »

It seems like with the right mounting, you could have as many toms as Neil Peart on your cocktail set but carry them in a tom case. Not that anyone would want to. Also, apparently they have a snare version, which I guess would be more like Tama's little practice snare with the snare fan more than it would be like the laptrap or whatever it's called.

Imagine one cymbal stand that mounts a muted, low-pitched 16" mounted cocktail style at the bottom of the stand, then a snare version with a fan of toms around it, a small ride, and some aux hi hats. A 16" case would carry all the drums, the pedal, and the cymbals, and you'd just have to carry one stand around.

You know, in case cocktail drumsets aren't portable enough already, or in case it's important that people see your crotch while you play but you can't afford clear acrylic drums.
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Will offers a cool portable idea here. Not too far from putting your entire kit in your shirt pocket. But I imagine in practicality, that the low end would be pretty thin (even my 18" roto used as a kick sounds, er, thin). Peter Lau has overcome that with his box resonators surrounding an 8" kick, but I digress.

These things could be used semi-melodically: think the original DarkSideofTheMoon rototoms, before Remo redesigned and defined them as such, or akin to Terry Bozzio's diatonic timbale array.

I haven't heard these things or even know if they have a sealed bottom (like a practice pad) but if they are somewhat tunable and there's enough air in and around them, mounting 2 or 3 would be pretty easy, and a reasonably portable add-on to a cocktail kit.

BTW I've been contemplating the acrylic thing for sometime now, just so the audience can sneak the peek! ':wink:' haha