mini drum set

palacki808

mini drum set

Post by palacki808 »

in my internet travels I found something interesting on DW's site. Some of you guys here may think this is cool (I know there's alot of "micro kit" fans here). DW mini-pro, here's the link on the same page as the DW cocktail drum... can you guess why I was at the site?

http://www.dwdrums.com/drums/specialty.htm

The mini pro isn't a cocktail set, but it certainly perked my interest when it comes to smaller drum kits, I just thought some of you guys here might drool over it as well.

-Joe
jmettam
Site Admin

DW Mini Pro

Post by jmettam »

Here's the picture:

16,13,10 w/ 12 snare. Cool!

- John
fw

Post by fw »

It's cool, but I'm kind of ticked that both the micro kit and the cocktail kit are so expensive--the cocktail set especially. I know DW is all top end stuff, but the cocktail set has the same street price as a full-five piece at Guitar Center--it stirkes me that it shouldn't be cheaper to get a totally tricked out DW set used on Ebay for less than a new cocktail set. On the one hand, I get that they can't compromise their quality. On the other hand, It seems like they are setting their profit margin too high--I think they've priced themselves out of players' hands--only endorsed pros will get them as toys. The micro-kit is a little more reasonable--it's just crazy that it costs less than the cocktail set does. You'd think DW would want to compete with the Club Jordan a little more. I think people would pay $2-300 more for a DW cocktail set over a Club Jordan, but $1000? I think almost everyone of us on here could take DW's concept and build the same set for $800--Keller shells, 2.3mil hoops, Camco lugs, glass glitter wrap. It's like they don't get their audience--that we are simultaneously cheapskates and customizers. We need to introduce them to Peter.
palacki808

dw prices

Post by palacki808 »

I used to think the dw drums (as well as the club jordan cocktail set) were overpriced. Last friday I went to the local drum shop. They had a dw mini-pro set sitting on the floor, of course I had to try playing it and all I can say is wow.

I have never played a set of drums with such a clean, clear tone. It far surpassed my hipgig in terms of sound quality, so I can only imagine how good a DW cocktail set might sound if properly tuned.

You'll all probably call me a traitor, but I had to take that little dw set home. This past weekend was the first time I can remember playing a gig without my cocktail drum. As expensive as some higher-end drums can be I personally think its worth it if you like the sound you're getting.

-Joe
halfcocked

Post by halfcocked »

I had Billy Blast build me a mini set and now he builds them all the time and they are selling well. 8 ply keller Maple shells and they sound great.Very resonable price too!
http://billyblastdrums.easystorecreator ... detail.htm
of course he builds great cocktail drums too!
http://billyblastdrums.easystorecreator ... detail.htm
metrodrum

DW and retail kits.

Post by metrodrum »

I was National Sales Manager with a company up here in Massachusetts in the Guitar Pickup world for 3 years, prior to striking out with MetroDrum, and building cocktail kits.

IMHO, one of the things that makes the prices so high is the middleman and the manufacturer looking for margin. GC won't touch this stuff if they are not getting
the best deal out there. In some cases A marks, in some cases B marks.

Also, sure anyone can buy some keller shells, slap on some sheets of plastic and hardware. But having the equipment to insure accurate, great sounding bearing edges,
hardware alignment and true and level shells takes some expertise. (again, IMHO )

DW was know for giving drum sets away to every pro they could to establish their presence - that "DW" logo over every hot artist is there for a reason. Do they make great sounding drums, they sure do, build there reputation on Keller. Personally
I prefer my Pat Foley Slingerland Studio Kings, those babies Sing - Sing - Sing .
(Keller too) - I also have a "DW" - ( They are my "Drum Whore" kit for gun for hire gigs )
I love them, Sound great, Keller shells simply sound great.

My drums sell for a decent price, 800 to 1200, which for a Keller shelled drum with comparable hardware and details is very reasonable, and luckily my customers think so too! Hope that wasn't too shameless promotion.... ;-)

Best
Matthew@Metropolitan
halfcocked

Post by halfcocked »

"Also, sure anyone can buy some keller shells, slap on some sheets of plastic and hardware. But having the equipment to insure accurate, great sounding bearing edges,
hardware alignment and true and level shells takes some expertise. (again, IMHO )"
IMHO...........Shameless promotion and not very nice to other peoples bussiness who have some "expertise". (again, IMHO ).............Gosh!
PETER

micro drum picture!

Post by PETER »

[img][IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/ ... C_0171.jpg
[/img][IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/ ... C_0174.jpg
[img][IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/ ... C_0175.jpg
Hi! Just want to share my new Micro Kit picture.which I started on 22-02-2008 and complete it on 25th-02-08.10"drum head as "Kick".8" snare and 6" Tom.The whole drum is very light ,small easy for transport! For the Kick,I'm using a very thin plywood on the front.I did try using a thick one,but it doesn't sound good.I still searching some kind of Small Door Handle bar just to fix it on top of the kick-drum,so that easy for me to carry! :D
Thanks!
Peter
zimbop

Re: micro drum picture!

Post by zimbop »

PETER wrote:Image
Hi! Just want to share my new Micro Kit picture.which I started on 22-02-2008 and complete it on 25th-02-08.10"drum head as "Kick".8" snare and 6" Tom.The whole drum is very light ,small easy for transport! For the Kick,I'm using a very thin plywood on the front.I did try using a thick one,but it doesn't sound good.I still searching some kind of Small Door Handle bar just to fix it on top of the kick-drum,so that easy for me to carry! :D
Thanks!
Peter
Wow, that's quite an interesting kit. Looks really compact and portable. I love the finish. What does that square kick drum sound like? What are you using for a snare?

Also, I fixed your picture links in the quoted part above. You can fix them in your post if you make sure there's just one "Image" after each.
PETER

thks!

Post by PETER »

Hi,Zimbpo!
Thanks alot for your help on the picture :D .The Box kick sound like normal bass drum,but no very loud.As for the snare,i'm using a 6"remo spoxe attached it on 7"thick plywood.I just cut about 1"long snare wire-fan,bent it a little bit so that it touch the drum head.the snare-wire is just screw in on the plywood.Yah,the whole kit is very light and protable.
Peter