Gig Pig, It?s not a cocktail kit but ........

jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

I'm with Will, That's a very good price for the Jordan even without the cymbals and bags. You will certainly get your money back if you ever resell it!

- John
matthew medeiros

Club Jordan

Post by matthew medeiros »

Get the club Jordan, keep the snare you can use it as a tom, your resale value will be better if you keep the set intact or just set it aside. Play the set for awhile You'll probably go through a couple different "permutations" Buy better Cymbals when time & money permits..............Will the guy sell the set without the cymbals :?:
Matthew
zorf

Post by zorf »

Hi Guys,
thanks so much for your advice. I'm going to pull the trigger on the jordans.
He's throwing in the 12in tama snare with the yess mounts.
Also the cymbals are Sabians aax.
I'll just have to find a way to mount my 17in zildian crash/ride get a cowbell, and i'm off!
I feel a little bad about highjacking the thread. Someone will do a search
someday for GigPig, find this, and scratch thier head.
Also, i'll need some new clothes to go with the pink champange sparkle.
fw

Post by fw »

What sort of cymbals are you looking for?

You'll find that the cocktail set forces its own rules on you--what you like about the sounds of kit drums and cymbals won't necessarily apply to the cocktail set.

You might find, for instance, that a bottom hi hat cymbal makes the perfect ride for a cocktail set when you would couldn't get with the sound on a regular set.

A lot of people gravitate toward modern timbale type cymbals, like el sabors or azukas. Wuhan splashes are cheap and make really nice cocktail cymbals, too. They can sometimes work as hi hats if you get lucky. Sabian duos and Zildjian remixes are very effective. I'm curious right now about the Zildjian B12 cymbals that just came out. I'm not into them for the set, but for a cocktail set, the mini hi hats and flat ride or smaller crashes might be good. Old style Paiste and Zildjian 16" rides and crash rides work great, too.
8-12" hi hats work well.

I think the standard would be a cymbal between 14" and 18" that has stick definition, an okay bell, a little swell underneath, and some crashability and a pair of small hi hats. From there, maybe a splash. Like I implied earlier, the cocktail "ride" isn't really something anybody sells outside of the timbale cymbal market or drum 'n' bass cymbal market--you either have to go vintage, use a bottom hi hat, adapt a crash, or find an old ride/crash ride from the days when people liked small ones or cymbals weren't really given categories. Small hi hats are much easier to find. At any rate, I wouldn't get caught up on the idea that expensive or pro is innately better for cocktail cymbals. Also, don't get frustrated if you feel like you can't find the right cymbals--if that happens, modify your technique on the cymbals that come close and you'll find the right tones. You may end up playing very lightly and micing the cymbals along with the kit, but that's easy to do on a set with such a small footprint.

Good luck! BTW, I like the idea of keeping the snare with the set. Even without it, you could still get your money back on the set, but with it, you've got the loaded version of the kit. I think the day after you buy it you'd easily get $800 for it on ebay.

Will
zorf

Post by zorf »

Hi Will,
I will definitely keep the set together. You can always use different
drums for different songs or gigs. And the yess mounts are easy to change drums in a second..
I'm thinking a 15in crash/ride would be great if you could only have one cymbal. Something washy with a lot of wobble, maybe with a couple of rivets.
But it is going to be fun to experiment with small cheap cymbals.
fw

Post by fw »

Your last posted before I finished writing mine--it sounds like you are already pretty set in the cymbal department. I think 17" crash rides are perfect cocktail cymbals, and as long as those AAX's aren't 14 or 15", they ought to sound pretty nice. Welcome to the world of cocktail!
matthew medeiros

Clothes to match Champagne Sparkle

zorf wrote:Hi Guys,
thanks so much for your advice. I'm going to pull the trigger on the jordans.
He's throwing in the 12in tama snare with the yess mounts.
Also the cymbals are Sabians aax.
I'll just have to find a way to mount my 17in zildian crash/ride get a cowbell, and i'm off!
I feel a little bad about highjacking the thread. Someone will do a search
someday for GigPig, find this, and scratch thier head.
Also, i'll need some new clothes to go with the pink champange sparkle.
Zorf, you should have no problem finding cloths that match the champagne sparkle kit in SF
Matthew
zorf

Post by zorf »

Matthew,
Easy there, some of my best friends play drums standing up.
matthew medeiros

zorf wrote:Matthew,
Easy there, some of my best friends play drums standing up.
No offense, I just thought you would look good in champagne sparkle :lol: :D
Matthew
zorf

Post by zorf »

What do you guys think,
Do i look fat in this?
zorf

Post by zorf »

Actually,
On a somewhat less goofy note, a few impressions after playing around a little
with my first cocktail;
The pedal assembly seems a little heavy and bulky. In fact it seems like the kit
could be improved a little in terms of how it breaks down and packs up.
Question; Which shell is louder/ more resonant; lighter or heavier?
I'm thinking a great design would be to have 4 accessory holders spaced
equidistance would give a lot of flexibility. You could mount a snare BEHIND
the main drum, the tom forward and to the left, and put the cymbal/accessories
in 2 positions front to back.
I'm already getting a ton of ideas about how i would design this.
It will be a while before i have time to experiment. In the meantime i have a good
sounding set to play on.
thanks again for encouraging me to jump in. I feel like i've joined a cult. But in a good way.
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Hey Zorf
You sound to be on the edge of designing and rolling your own! No disrespect to any cocktailer who's purchased any of the fine cocktail kits available, but there's often one or several things we'd like different from the stock offerings. More than just a couple of alterations, and it can be well worth the time, effort and cost to create it yourself...to a custom kit, matey!
If this becomes your desired path, check out any of the really good examples and ideas of homegrown kits here.
Swampgas

Post by Swampgas »

Let's look at the "Gig Pig." It's cool, but a thousand bucks sounds high. It is inspiring me to make something similar. I would try some MDF, some Roto toms, a legless high hat, and some cymbal stand hardware. I wonder if I could bring it in under 500.00? Everything used-maybe 300.00?
zorf

Post by zorf »

Hey swampgas,
I bet you could put one together for $500 bucks, but, if are a company, you have to add in labor and profit.
The $1000 includes cymbals, and all the custom hardware, plus 5 resonating chambers crammed
into a 26 inch by 17 inch box. Check out the bass and hihat pedals!
Compared to the club jordan (list) price, that seems pretty reasonable to me.
Of course, i've never tried/heard one in person, so i couldn't say.
Would love to try one some time.
Wouldn't it be great if drum stores had more oddball stuff to try out? There must

be more money in selling conventional sets to teens.
Swampgas

Post by Swampgas »

You are right. I didn't take labor, etc into consideration.