Getting a one man band started

CarolHighHair

Getting a one man band started

Post by CarolHighHair »

Hello,

I wanted to introduce myself - my name's Carol, and I just discovered cocktail drums not too long ago. My friend loaned me hers - it's one of those really basic ones that are on Ebay for about $250, but it's really useful.

I'm working on being a one man band, and for now, I'm going to use that cocktail drum with the bass pedal. I'd really love to hear if anyone has any ideas about how to set up my, um, 'set-up'. I would rather stand, but I think I could play more foot pedals if I sat. I think I'm relatively limited to foot pedals because I'm going to also play guitar.

Alright, that's about it! Thanks everyone, this is a great site!

Take care,
Carol
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Sounds like you've kind of defined how this will work: playing guitar and using your feet for pedals. You might want to use the cocktail drum vertically as it's designed, but if you're primarily playing guitar and won't be using your hand for drumming, then you might consider placing the big drum on its side. There are a few benefits to this depending on your gigs: a) the drum projects forward rather than up, b) you can tune the drum high or low and since it's essentially a bass drum, you don'nt have to concern yourself with getting 2 sounds from the same drum, c) it looks funky having a long bass drum sticking out into the audience. Downsides of this are that you will need to convert the pedal for normal operation (not reversed for up striking), and the drum will take up more space.
Eitherway the cocktail drum (and perhaps a pedal for a cowbell or tambourine for your other foot) could easily complete a cool and visually striking rhythm section for the rest of your performance....I suspect you WILL want to sit to do all this. Use a 30" or so barstool.
Good luck and have a blast!
jim kooser

Post by jim kooser »

Hi Carol:

There is another percussion option that you might want to explore, if playing guitar and a cocktail set proves unwieldy. Cajons have been used in Flamenco music for some time now. A cajon is a simple wooden box, common sizes run around 18 inches tall x12 wide x 12 deep. Cajons have one or two heads made of thin hardwood or thin plywood. One head typically has snare wires or guitar strings stretched behind, the other has no strings or snares. One typically sits on the cajon and plays with the hands, but I've known several guitarists who sit on the cajon, and kick the "snare" side with one heel and the "bass" side with the other, sometimes kicking out interesting beats. A good cajon has a nice resonant sound.
CarolHighHair

Post by CarolHighHair »

Thanks for the ideas! I never thought about turning the cocktail drum on its side, that's interesting. And I'll for sure check out that other drum. I'm still getting the guitar part down for some songs. A friend of mine might have a "garage warming" party later this year, I'm going to ask him if I can make my debut there. At least it will be a friendly crowd!