Steve Jordan cocktail drum videos

JGove33

Steve Jordan's Hi Hats

Post by JGove33 »

Hey guys,

In the video with John Mayer, what kind of hi hats is Steve Jordan using (i.e. brand name, series, and/or sizes). I want to say that Steve uses Paiste cymbals because he endorses them, but all of his signiture cymbals on the paiste website are huge (the smallest of the three are 17" hi hats) so I know it's not one of them. So, I was just wondering if any cocktail buffs out there knew. I've tried to google it and haven't come up with anything. I absolutely loved the sound he got out of them. Hope you guys can help.

-Jeremy
milwaukee

Post by milwaukee »

Jeremy, those are surely Paistes- he's been playing them forever. They could be prototypes, like those überhats he plays on his traditional kit (17"? are you kidding?).

If not, my money's on the hi-hat being 2 splashes, maybe 10" Signatures or 9" Traditionals. The other cymbal looks like about a 14", either a Signature crash or a bottom hi-hat from one of those lines.

The Paiste fans over at cymbalholic.com could probably nail down which cymbals they are based on bell shape, finish etc. Those guys are maniacs about this kind of stuff.

As another Club Jordan guy who REALLY digs Steve's sound, your question is one I would ask if I ever got to chat with the man for a few minutes.

By the way, if you can track down the videos of him doing the cocktail drum thing with Clapton recently, he's got a totally different approach to the cymbal selection. Check it out.