cymbals for cocktail kit

ricky

cymbals for cocktail kit

Post by ricky »

The Giant Beat cymbals from Paiste would work great in low to medium or acoustic volume settings{the Multi cymbals},they function very well as crash/rides and the bigger ones crank out some serious volume when needed...anyway,just thought I'd pass on some info for folks looking for higher quality cymbals that get the ride and crash thing done in one shot...sometimes its hard to find higher end crash/rides...
multiperc

cymbal rivets

Post by multiperc »

I've been looking for cymbal rivets and have not had luck finding the right type at the hardware joints or at the local GC or SamAsh dealers - looking for the package of 100 that ZIldjian has sold in the past.

This is possibly due to all the good reasons why one SHOULDN"T drill their own cymbals! haha! But I've done it before (on only certain ones, I should add).

I reviewed my 30 year old drilling job on a Meinl ride and observed some similarities between the old Zildjian rivets I'd installed way back then and small sized paper fasteners, from (I can't believe I'm telling this) Staples. No shit, and... for shame.
So I got curious and got out the drill.

I recently added 2 fastener 'rivets' each to a whuhan 10" splash and 12" china. Both sound very cool with the coctail kit - not a splash sound, not a small crash sound, and not a full sizzle, but somewhere exotic and in the midst of all of those expectations.

I don't know if I'd want to suggest this solution here but thought I might post my findings nevertheless..... tsssssssssssssss
zorf

Post by zorf »

If you want some sizzle without drilling try this:

Take a penny. Take a piece of electrical tape (the black stuff) about an inch long.
lay the tape across the penny starting a one edge.
This should leave about a half inch. Tape on to your cymbal.
The idea is to use just enough tape to fasten the penny securly
to the cymbal without dampening.
This is roughly equal to 5 rivits. Take it on and off different cymbals
for different songs as needed.
Put a small roll of electrical tape and a couple of pennys in your kit.
Should last about 30 years.
jmettam
Site Admin

Pennies

Post by jmettam »

Hey Zorf,

I thought that I was the only one who did this! I have also done this for years now. It works very well. it can take a little experimentatin to find just the right spot but it really works!

- John
palacki808

sizzle

Post by palacki808 »

Another good method for a sizzle cymbal is to use light chain. You know the little ball chain that you pull to turn the cieling fan on? An 8 inch piece of that works great. I had a piece that I hung from the wingnut of the cymbal stand with a keyring.
zorf

Post by zorf »

I hang my bling from my hip hop videos on the cymbals.
The mercedes on the large gold chain sounds great.
I call this style: heavy medal