hi hats

ricky

hi -hats

Post by ricky »

Hey Multiperc,I have 3 of the Paiste accent cymbals {I think in 2',4' and 8'}.I am curious as to how the 2 eight inch cymbals sound together as hats.Do they have the long sustain when they are open? I am trying to get an idea with mine,but the difference in sizes just doesnt seem to work,anyway just thought I would holler at ya!
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

hey ricky

Yeah, it'd be kinda hard to determine with mismatched sizes. I use a pair of 8inchers on a Tama fixed hat arm, so with my cocktail kit at least, they're never open per se. I keep the clutch only medium tight though so that I can play on the edge for a bit of slosh, simulating a partially open pair.

I have used accent cymbals as hats on a pedaled stand with my other kits and they're cool in that context too. As far as the long sustain goes, on a regular hihat stand with a pedal, they will sustain as long as they are open (obviously). So this long decay isn't really a issue unless you're leaving the pedal fully open and continuously - and then as you'd imagine it would be lots of clangning! ha!

The thing I find extra special about these cymbals for hats is the combination of high pitch and sharp articulation. The accent cyms as hats are in ways a true opposite of using, say, a small pair of Wuhan splashes, which tend to be soft, slow and delicate sounding.

If you end up trying this, do post where you found the additional accent cymbal (to make a pair) - I don't know how easy they are to come by these days.
cadolfan

hi hat weight question

Post by cadolfan »

I just picked up a club jordan cocktail drum. does any one know how much weight the cymbal arm will hold. i'm considering puting some 13" hi hats and a small splash. would this be okay?
milwaukee

Post by milwaukee »

cadolfan,

Welcome aboard! I've had a medium 18" A and a pair of 13" K/Z hats on my Jordan's cymbal arm at the same time and it was plenty solid. I'm sure your selup will be fine..
cadolfan

Post by cadolfan »

milwaukee wrote:cadolfan,

Welcome aboard! I've had a medium 18" A and a pair of 13" K/Z hats on my Jordan's cymbal arm at the same time and it was plenty solid. I'm sure your selup will be fine..
Thanks milwaukee! That's good to know.
cadolfan

clutch question

Post by cadolfan »

what type of clutch does the club jordan accessory cymbal arm use? i tried using a dw clutch but it was too small. can't quiet figure out the hi hat mount on the cj catalogue pics.
milwaukee

Post by milwaukee »

It's not really a "clutch" per se; just a pair of round metal fittings that tighten onto the arm to position and set the tightness/looseness of the hats.
cadolfan

Post by cadolfan »

milwaukee wrote:It's not really a "clutch" per se; just a pair of round metal fittings that tighten onto the arm to position and set the tightness/looseness of the hats.
Right but how do you keep the center of the hi hat from rubbing against the cymbal arm?
jmettam
Site Admin

Club Jordan Hi Hat Mounts

Post by jmettam »

There should be a couple of plastic pieces that are a combination of washer and sleeve (like on most Yamaha cymbal stands) these sit on one of the metal fitting that Milwaukee mentioned. Then a felt washer sits on top of the plastic washer (and around the sleeve)

If it didn't come with them, you can get them at musicians friend (Gibraltar SC-19B):

Here is a Club Jordan schematic from the 'models' section of the Lounge:

1-1-A = Plastic washer as shown above
1-1-B = Felt Washer
1-1-C&D = Metal fitting with threaded tighteneing screw

cadolfan

Post by cadolfan »

i see you invert the plastic washer between 1-1D and 1-1B

thanks,
mettman
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Yes, exactly! The inverted piece should go on top of the hi-hat to give it stability and help control the tension. I mention this because all of the Yamaha pictures have the hi-hat on the bottom and a small cymbal on top. I don't know anyone who doesn't have it the other way around, large cymbal on bottom, small hat on top.

- John
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

I have added the plastic washers and some felts to the 'Shop' under accessories if you need to find them!

- John