Club Jordan Flaw for Left Handers

cadolfan

Club Jordan Flaw for Left Handers

Post by cadolfan »

Okay I'm a left hander who plays matched grip with the hi hat on the left side of the bass drum. So I got my Club Jordan and I set the tom and snare on the right as I hit the snare with my right. Well when you do this and hook the bass pedal up you find out that the width from the tom legs is shorter than if you hook up the bass drum on the legs from the other side. You can still hook up the pedal. It's just the gaps that are supposed to clamp on the tom legs don't line up.
jmettam
Site Admin

Club Jordan for Lefties

Post by jmettam »

You are so right!

A couple of weeks ago I did a gig with my wife (a lefty drummer) where she played the Club Jordan.

It is definitely a right hand bias setup. There are three mounting brackts on the drum that support the snare, tom, and cymbal holder. When you reverse these positions for a left handed player, you must rotate the drum around in such a way that the pedal bracket does not fit between the legs facing the player. Also the percussion board faces the player rather than being to the side of the drum.

Fortunately, I already had a converted 'Pulse' pedal with a mounting plate. We just set this under the drum without mounting it to anything. It worked great for rehearsal but at the gig there was no carpet and we did not have one with us. The pedal slid around and was apparently a real pain. If we had a rug, I think things would have work out just fine!

- John
cadolfan

Post by cadolfan »

Yeah, the percussion board can a least be moved. I'm thinkng about riming out the bracket a 1/4 of an ince on each side so it fit into each tom leg. Is the Pulse pedal good for cocktail kti players. Do you have to invert it? I saw the instrcutions on this board on how to invert a dw pedal. Do you have a pic of yours?
jmettam
Site Admin

Pulse Pedal

Post by jmettam »

The Pulse pedal is surprisingly good. Very solid with the base plate for $30!

It was easy to invert and now I just have it around when I need it!

I have a bunch of pics and instructions that I will make into a page soon!

- John
matthew medeiros

Club Jordan

Post by matthew medeiros »

I also don't like the fact that the drum mounts don't have any adjustment to them, as the original mounts from a Yamaha kit have the round ball swivel adjustment, and the Club Jordan only allows the side drums to remain flat. The way I play it makes it a little hard to reach the side tom. Does anyone else experience this??
Well...... I shoudn't say no adjustment, they can be either flat or very angled!
Matthew
cadolfan

Post by cadolfan »

Hadn't given this much thought as I typically play the toms on my regular kit almost flat. Standing I don't mind the toms being flat.
milwaukee

Post by milwaukee »

Just for grins, I scanned the instructions that came with my Club Jordan. They have a suggested setup for lefties. I'll email the whole scan to John, but here's the bit with the setup suggestion- if it helps at all.

It's a little different than what John described but still doesn't look terribly comfortable... not particularly quick or easy to move that cascara board either... :?

jmettam
Site Admin

Hmmmm

Post by jmettam »

Still looks like everything would be way too far on the other side of the drum.

- John
cadolfan

Re: Hmmmm

Post by cadolfan »

jmettam wrote:Still looks like everything would be way too far on the other side of the drum.

- John
Yep, way too far. Also, it appears if you try to mount the pedal on legs that are closer together to allow you to have the snare on the right so you can hit it with your riight hand the bass drum pedal doesn't allow for the malet to hit closer to dead center if you wanted.
milwaukee

Post by milwaukee »

I've had some luck (in my right-handed setup) mounting the snare way at the end of the L-shaped arm, which brings it a little further 'around' the drum for me. The Yamaha hardware is sturdy enough to support that. Still, I guess the asymmetrical setup is a design decision that really compromises the use of the kit for leftys.

Maybe something like a DW sidekick off to the left of the drum, with the drums set up in the 'right handed' config, would work for a lefty?

Send Yamaha an email - I'd be curious what they have to say. I've sent them a few questions and gotten some more or less useful responses... your mileage may vary.
jmettam
Site Admin

Re: Club Jordan for Lefties

Post by jmettam »

Don't forget my orginal solution. Simple, inexpensive and it works great IF you have a rug!

- John

jmettam wrote:Fortunately, I already had a converted 'Pulse' pedal with a mounting plate. We just set this under the drum without mounting it to anything. It worked great for rehearsal but at the gig there was no carpet and we did not have one with us. The pedal slid around and was apparently a real pain. If we had a rug, I think things would have work out just fine!
cadolfan

Re: Pulse Pedal

Post by cadolfan »

jmettam wrote:The Pulse pedal is surprisingly good. Very solid with the base plate for $30!

It was easy to invert and now I just have it around when I need it!

I have a bunch of pics and instructions that I will make into a page soon!

- John
hey john,
do you have a link to that instruction page?
ca
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

It should be easy to get to.

Just click on the 'Construction' Link to the left

The article is under my name.

If you really can't get to it that way:

http://www.cocktaildrum.com/learn/const ... pedal.html
cadolfan

Post by cadolfan »

jmettam wrote:It should be easy to get to.

Just click on the 'Construction' Link to the left

The article is under my name.

If you really can't get to it that way:

http://www.cocktaildrum.com/learn/const ... pedal.html
Got it. Thanks man. So if I understand you correctly, if you have a pedal with velco under the plate and you have a carpet there is no need to mount the pedal to the drum legs. Is that right?
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

cadolfan wrote:So if I understand you correctly, if you have a pedal with velco under the plate and you have a carpet there is no need to mount the pedal to the drum legs. Is that right?
That is correct. If you are a VERY heavy player you could potentialy lift the drum off the floor slightly and the drum could shift that way but otherwise you should be alright. I am amazed at how well the Pulse pedal is constructed for a $30 pedal!

- John