Get Paul McCartney to try the cocktail drum?

Bruce (the K)

Get Paul McCartney to try the cocktail drum?

Post by Bruce (the K) »

I had this crazy idea a few days ago and I wanted to tell all of you about it. I'm sure most everybody knows that once and future Beatle Paul McCartney is a talented multi-instrumentalist, playing bass, acoustic and electric guitar, and piano when he performs live. I bet most folks on this forum also know that he's a pretty mean drummer as well.

I've heard that he often filled in on drums in the early days of the Beatles, before they got a permanent drummer, when their "rent-a-drummers" didn't show up for gigs. I've also heard, and it makes perfect sense, that he had no interest in sitting at the back of the stage behind a drum kit when he could be up front playing guitar or bass.

Here's my idea: If we mount an internet campaign to get Paul's attention and turn him on to playing the cocktail drum, he can add that to his arsenal of instruments and PLAY DRUMS AT THE FRONT OF THE STAGE!

Now I will admit that part of this is selfishness on my part, because of the attention it would bring to cocktail drums if a famous celebrity featured the instrument. On the other hand, I know Paul is going through a rough patch right now and it might be helpful for him to immerse himself in a new musical experience so I'm thinking of him too.

I know this may sound a bit "stalkerish" or something but I really think Paul has yet to discover his "inner cocktail drummer." What do you all think?

Bruce (the K)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

How do we know he hasn't tried it allready?
Bruce (the K)

McCartney drum video

Post by Bruce (the K) »

Good point. I suppose he's seen it all. Still, how many cocktail drums were floating around Britain in the 50s and 60s?

By the way, there's a video of Paul playing drums on YouTube. Check out his hair (which seems to date the clip to the mid-70s).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEj4Hdty5tQ