Bill Conway Drum

jmettam
Site Admin

Bill Conway Drum

Post by jmettam »

Hey All,

I did a recording session a few weeks ago up in boston at Hi-N-Dry studio. It is owned by the guys from Morphine and is where they recorded some of there records.

Very cool space and nice sounding room. I didn't get to meet Bill, he was out of town, but amongst all of the cool wierd music gear they have was a Cocktail Drum of his. So, here it is for all you Treat Her Right and Morphine fans!

matthew medeiros

Bill's drum

Post by matthew medeiros »

Hey cool drum! That's an old WFL drum, the bracket at the bottom of the drum is where the(original) foot pedal attaches to the drum. And nickel plated hardware (originally) I like the wood hoop treatment and have always wanted to try this, at least on the bottom head. How does this make the drum sound?? or change the sound?
Matthew
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Mathew,

I wouldn't say it was set up as a playing drum. I had the impression it had beeen sitting in the corner for a while. The snare was not setup on it and the top head was medium toght. THe whole thing was very open sounding. I didn't have time to really mess with it and the pedal was no where to be seen.

Sorry I don't have more info!

- John
matthew medeiros

Bill's drum

Post by matthew medeiros »

Yeah, It is a WFL Cocktail drum. The bracket at the bottom of the drum next to the leg with the big round washer is where the foot pedal mounted, there was a small round tube at one end of the foot pedal that the leg sat in. The two holes at the top left of the drum are where the side tom mount(s) went, the mounts could be swapped back & forth from one side of the drum to the other, the drums had matching holes on either side you could move the mounts back & forth too, and finally those two empty holes at the top center is where a cymbal L arm bracket went, they( the hole patterns) match my WFL Gold laquer drum perfectly, as a bass drum only these drums sound pretty good, they have a real good bass drummy sound. I have one of the original pedals to that style Cocktail drum. Can send a pic if you want. I've only ever seen these drums in 16 X 24 size.
Matthew