ebay: '62 Slingerland 286

milwaukee

ebay: '62 Slingerland 286

Post by milwaukee »

Check this one out. It's a Slingerland No. 286 in Fiesta Pearl!

(No, I'm not the seller...)

EBAY LINK

Last edited by milwaukee on Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matthew medeiros

Slingerland

Post by matthew medeiros »

I saw that, nice lookin set up. Did you notice the one hoop is a metal hoop. Is this a stock arrangement does anybody know or do ya think set is missing one wood hoop?
Matthew
jmettam
Site Admin

Slingerland No. 286

Post by jmettam »

This kit came just as you see it. One metal hoop, one wooden hoop, a special mount for the snare basket, and the big metal handle! The snare also has a floor tom leg mount for adding a cowbell on a post.

Check out the Slingerland page under the 'Models' menu to the left. There is a bit more about the kit there. Also under the 'Catalogs' section are scans from various Drum Catalogs that feature Cocktail Drums. Check out the Slingerland years 63, 69, and 73.

I also own one so if you have any detailed questions I might be able to answer them.

- John
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Hey John

I've never seen anyone play one of these. Clue me in - do you play standing/sitting? Given the snare is directly above the kick and pedal, is it uncomfortable? What are some of the benefits to this kind of a kit?

The handle is cool.

PS Happy New Year everyone!
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Well, the benefit is that you have a true separate bass and snare sound. Althought he bass is small!

I don't think that this kit would be at all comfortable to play sitting down because the snare would be much too far away. Standing up it is fine except that a regulalr bass pedal feels a bit odd without adjustment.

The one problem is, since the bass drum is so small, for the pedal to feel confortable the beater hits very high (near the edge) on the head. So the sound is not so good. I have a bass drum riser designed for a wooden hoop that I am going to try out. I think that that will do the trick and get the beater hitting near center. That will give it a much better sound!

- John
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

thanks for the reply, and now a bit off topic....

I asked about this since I've recently been playing a bit more on my microkit which has a 16x16 kick and a homemade riser-thingy. I may be outta my mind, but ever since I've been playing smaller diameter kicks (on my cocktail and micro kits) I've kind of prefered the tone when the beater is just off-center. Really, in both cases the fundamental seems slightly choked or reduced when I postiion the beater dead-center.

So if anyone wants to try this, the idea is to simply locate the sweet spot just off-center. I find I get a bit more sustain (which I prefer on these drums) and a good throaty tone which features some additional harmonics. Am I nuts?

Ohyeah and what size is the bassdrum in the Slingy 286 model? 16x16 also?
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Multiperc,

You are absolutely right about the drum choking when you hit it dead center compared to slightly off center. It's definitely a different sound and is worth exploring!

On the No. 286 (which is a 16 x 16 kick) since there is no riser the beater hits around 2-3 inches from the edge of the drum which really does not get a good sound. The only other otion is to drop the beater down very low which gives the pedal a really bad respsonse (and a much longer throw).

One thing about the dead center concept, I find that with these small drums you HAVE to give the drum some sustain to get a full tone out of it. Then you have to experiment with wether or not you leave the beater against the head after you strike the kick drum. That is a whole other issue both for sound and technique!

- John
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Consistent with everything I've found - leaving me only partially nuts.

The first time I encountered these challenges is when I used my unused 9x13 Gretsch tom mounted on an LP cowbell pedal holder. Definitely fun and zany sounding as another kick but with the problems of hitting right near the rim OR adjusting and yielding an unbalanced beater throw.

I've been leaving both my cocktail bigdrum and micro kick mimimally muffled and tuned so that they're quite resonant. The option to hold beater to head or bounce off is a great variation on articulation.

Glad you pointed these things out - thanks
matthew medeiros

Playing off center

Post by matthew medeiros »

I'm not sure if it is exactly the same thing but I play my snare off center quite a bit and also my floor tom off center, it just gives me more sounds to pick & choose from. So, why not the bass drum also? I like to play my drums as unmuffled as the circumstances allow so I'm always out at the edge of my snare drum for softer sounds. Also, in an unrelated, related subject, if you go to the Randall May website and check out the players tips, several of them talk about miking their drums (especially bass drums) off center. Maybe we are all just a bit off center?
Matthew
jmettam
Site Admin

Re: Playing off center

Post by jmettam »

matthew medeiros wrote:Maybe we are all just a bit off center?
Well, I think that you have it dead on right there!

It is truly amazing the difference in sound you get depending on where you strike a drumhead. The funny thing to me is that playing a Cocktail Snare (top head of main drum) I often play dead center. Gets a fat snare back beat with brushes and a very tenro drum kind of sound with sticks. Very unlike a regular snare!

- John