some double drumming

multiperc

some double drumming

Post by multiperc »

My son asked me to help rehearse his band for an upcoming audition, so I set up the cocktail kit - just in case! There were a few times where I sat down on the kit to offer their drummer some ideas, but most of the time I guided the band along (tempo, groove and form) from the cocktail kit.

Trad kit & cocktail kit - what a great sound! Their drummer was playing on one of my kits (late 60s Gretsch, smaller sizes) and the way the 2 kits blended was incredible - especially how the 2 kicks and the 2 snares complemented each other. More elegant and considerably less clunky sounding than 2 drummers blasting away on similar-sized kits.

Anyone involved in bands/projects where there's an opportunity to try this out, should give it a go - if just to hear it!
milwaukee

Post by milwaukee »

multiperc, I've had that idea before. I envision using the cocktail kit as part of a larger percussion rig. Glad to hear it sounds cool in practice!

How did the audition go?
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Hey mil,
If you ever try this (cocktail as part of a larger percussion rig) do post a pic and/or tell how it works for you.
And thanks for asking about their audition - they did well and were placed in the show!
milwaukee

Post by milwaukee »

Glad to hear it, multiperc. How cool is it to be a musician with a kid who is into music, too? I'm looking forward to when my 2yo might be going down that road, too.

My dad was & is a working musician for most of his living. He always supported my musical pursuts & misadventures as I was growing up- It's pretty cool now that I'm in my thirties and coming around to where we play gigs together now & then. Our tastes get closer together as we both age I guess.
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Hey Mil
Very nice sentiments indeed. My dad was a part time musician (upright bass) but my musical interests and intesity kind of eclipsed his when I was pretty young. Though he too was fully supportive of my musical pursuits through his life.
It's so cool that you still have chances to play with your dad - enjoy them all.
My son has lots of interests and music is but one of them. Interestingly, drumming is not his thing - he plays bass! Having a kid with musical interests is a total blast - hope that happens for you too.