Cutting a drum in half.

Grant

Cutting a drum in half.

Post by Grant »

I am building a new kit and would like to cut a 16" floor tom in half, because I am attempting to build a travel kit. The kind you can stack a tom and snare inside the kick/tom. What I need to know is, is there a way to seal the cut, so I don't loose any of the sound. If anyone has any idea's I would greatly appreciate hearing them. Thanks.
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

What I have seen done is, on one of the facing edges put a strip of wood the entire circumference on the inside of the shell. Let the wood strip stick out half way. That way the drums will have a guide for fitting together nicely and it will help seal the gap. I have seen twist clamps like the ones used on Anvil cases used to clip the two halves together.

Hope this helps

- John

PS:

http://themoderndrumshop.com/stacksets.html
MetalHead

Post by MetalHead »

I have a travel kit that I've been putting together for awhile. I found a cheap new 12" snare on ebay for $27 australian. It has a 16" bass drum with pearl conversion parts (bass legs and a bass leg attachment that the pedal attaches to). I use a 12" tom as a floor and temporily an 8" drum of my 7 piece set as a rack tom. I have posted pics of it in the kits section.

I don't use a second skin on the bass drum so I can easily stack them in. The bass can fit the drums, hats, 2 cymbals and bass pedal. All I need is a small bag for the stool, snare and 1 cymbal stand.

I find that the bass drum has a lot of punch to it, I just use a towl as a muffler. It's easy to move to adjust and I can use it to seperate each drum in the bag.