cymbals

tikifreak

cymbals

Post by tikifreak »

I am interested in purchasing some new cymbals, and wondered if any of you out there have tried these particular models.

I'm looking at the Zildjian & Cie "Vintage" hi-hats, which come in thin and medium weights (I think I want the mediums). Also, I'm looking at the 19" Zildjian Armand ride (medium-thin) with the three rivets for use as a crash / ride.

These cymbals are not in any stores near me, so I haven't played them / heard them. They also are not cheap, so I'm a little shy about ordering them and then not liking them (or, getting a crappy-sounding one). I'm thinking these would be ideal for my cocktail / micro kit and mostly jazz playing. If anyone has used these cymbals, I would love to hear some opinions on them.

thanks,
Tikifreak
matthew medeiros

Cymbals Reply

Post by matthew medeiros »

Hey Tikifreak,
I've got a cymbal I don't use. It is one of the "K" re-issues, it looks like it was originally a 17 or 18 inch cymbal which somebody cut down to 15 inches and did some extra hammering. Whoever did it looks like they knew what they where going. The cymbal sounds pretty good, has a dry, ride sound not a lot of overtone or ring. I always thought it would be good for a Jazz application. Would be willing to let it go cheap to a fellow cocktailer.
Matthew
milwaukee

Post by milwaukee »

tikifreak, I've tried out a few of the &cie Zildjians in the store and they are outstanding. Nice vintage vibe, and more consistently good than other Zs. The 19" Armand is a winner too.
tikifreak

Post by tikifreak »

Matthew,
Thanks for the offer, but I'm wanting to stick with Zildjian A series (no pun intended).

I bought a barely-used 19" Armand ride from eBay for $225. I've only had it a few days, but I like it already. Played on the very edge, it has a lot of wash and the rivets really sizzle alot. Played halfway from edge to center, it has more attack and less sizzle. The bell has two nice ringing tones to it, neither of which causes the rivets to sizzle much: with the tip of the stick it kinda sounds like a larger, heavier ride, only with less volume; with the shoulder of the stick you get a nice loud ping. As a crash, it's just OK. Kind of dark with fast decay. Also, even when the rivets get to sizzlin', once you stop playing, the sizzle decays quicker than you would think. A very versatile cymbal, and one I'm glad I bought. The 19" size is as big as I would want to go on my cocktail kit, even though I love the 20" medium ride on my standard kit (which I rarely ever play anymore).

Now to start saving for the Vintage hi-hats. I still welcome any comments on those. I'm currently playing mid-70's vintage 14" New Beats that feel "medium" thick to me. These babies are killer for everything I've thrown at them, but I want another set of hats so my kits don't have to share. My fat old kit is jealous of the newer, slimmer model I brought home! : )

swing on,
freaky for tikis