Pedal Ponder?

halfcocked

Pedal Ponder?

Post by halfcocked »

The most important part of the whole kit!
Ok, I looked all through this forum about reversable bass pedals. Everybody! What pedals are able to be reversed? Which are the best? See alot about DW and the sidekick version, Looks a bit awakward and anchors to only one leg (heard of shaking problems.).
Which other brands can you recomend or had experience with? I have a Pearl pedal (strap type) that came with my forum set,easily reversed but a bit floppy action.
Someone mentioned Pulse also. Need a resonable priced pedal that works well.
The reason is, I want to offer mods to existing drumsets so people can make mini/practice sets from thier existing kits. I could bulk order the pedals and get the ball rolling.
Everybody needs to know about your pedal experinces!
Thanks & Cheers!
robertm

Post by robertm »

Hi. I use a Pulse pedal. They are easily reversed with the proper Allen wrenches;John Mettam has posted a how-to on this board. They're sturdy, have a large base plate so anchoring to the drum leg isn't usually necessary. They have velcro strips that grab carpet nicely-a small strip of carpet, even on a slick floor, keeps them in place nicely. And inexpensive-$39 at Musician's Friend last I saw. I sound like a salesman. But hey. I use one!
Good luck.

Robert
jim kooser

Post by jim kooser »

I have to agree with Robert. I've used a Pulse with great sucess for over a year now. Plenty fats and durable enough for the acoustic music I play, and for around $40.00 you can't beat it!
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Look under the menus on the left. Follow the Learn->Constuction Link

There are two step-by-step articles with pictures:

Joe Palacki - How to reverse a DW5000 pedal
John Mettam - How to reverse a Pulse Pro pedal

You can also find vintage Ludwig Speedmaster pedals on eBay cheap. These were designed to be quickly reversable. But, the footbaord is narrow compared to todays pedals and it is a bit flimsy.

Like the other commenters, I feel that the Pulse is unbeatable for the price. It is surprisingly sturdy and the baseplate can eliminate the need to find a pedal bracket if you are playing on a carpet.

On a general note, most pedals really are reversable. The important things to remeber are:

1) The Cam is not symmetrical and must be reversed for proper action.

2) Once reversed, the Cam will also need to be rotated to set the best playing arc.

3) The strap or chain might need to be lengthened to accomodate the new relationship between the cam and the end of the foot board.

Since every pedal is different the only way to find out about a specific pedal is to try.The reason the DW and Pulse pedals work so well is they are highly adjustable making disassembly and Cam adjustment relatively easy. Some pedals such as the Luwig SpeedKing would be virtually impossible to reverse!

Hope this helps,

- John

Here's the link for the Pulse pedal. If you buy enough you might get free shipping!

http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bf ... mtype=gear
Bruce (the K)

Post by Bruce (the K) »

One more thing you might give some thought to is offering a heel block for those who want to play standing up. The angle of the pedal is very different from the angle you need when seated. It makes a huge difference to be able to rest your heel on the pedal. DW sells a set of heel plates to adjust the angle of the pedal but I was able to modify my Peace Manhattan pedal with a chunck of wood and a pair of longer screws.

Bruce (the K)
ratatattat

Post by ratatattat »

Hiya, I have 2 dw sidekicks & a dw 5000 reversed. The sidekicks have a wobble problem only when they are not adjusted properly. Otherwise they are solid as can be.
The dw 5000 reversed is my favorite one. The heel blocks & toe weights make such a big difference!
The side kicks are great if your drum is not 24" or taller, because I have a 21" 50's slingerland & the conventional pedal made it a fixed height and the fixed height was too low, so the side kick works at almost any height. I reckon it's all in personal preference,
but i have no wobble problems with the sidekicks at all, & I have 2.
When I first got my cocktail, I made a bracket & used an old duplex heyn pedal reversed.
If there is a will, there's a way!
Shorty