bongos, bognos

multiperc

bongos, bognos

Post by multiperc »

I'm looking to pick up some lightweight bongos to strap on to the ol cocktail kit - I'm only interested in pretuned types since I want to steer clear of issues with natural heads. I know several here use the Remo Kid's bongos of which I've seen a couple different models. I'm also familiar with their sound, and they're a good option.

Also came across these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=449811

..which look similar to the Remo models, though I'm not sure of the sizes nor sound. Any recommendations on a set of lightweight, cheep, pretuned bongos that work well with a cocktail setup?
robertm

Post by robertm »

Hi multiperc. This is what I ended up with - Remo calls them "pretuned Cuban Bongos."
They seem to be slightly larger than the Kids' bongos - 6 in./7 in. instead of 5 in./6 in. - so they're a bit deeper sound. I put a pair of 3/4 in. eyebolts in each one, and the eyes are perfectly spaced to hang right from the heads of the tension rods on my main drum (8 lugs, 14"). They don't budge in playing but can be lifted right off. Great set of multi-purpose small drums (added a snare to one of them-John dubbed it a "snongo" for snare-bongo).

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/6/1 ... bo_pt.html
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hi Multiperc,

I have always used the Remo Kids Bongos

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=442465

Mainly because they were originally the only ones around. Now I am addicted to the sound and light weight. I must admit though that I hate the fact that once they are dead, they are usless. I really hate waste like that. I have been looking for an inexpensive tunable alternative. I have seen some Toca metal bongos on eBay for $10-20 but have not gotten them yet. You can buy synthetic heads from Remo if you don't want to deal with real skin.

Let us know what you come up with!

- John
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Confirm for me though: since you play a lot of single cocktail drum (with other percussion piled on), do your bongos get extra play time for backbeats or other non-bogo parts - therefore dying an early death? Also, what is your thought on using natural heads with the amount and kind of gigging you do?
Hey Again,

The reason my bongos die is simply that I use them alot as bongos. With cocktail angst I play an awful lot of bongo/cowbell patterns. The heads hold up pretty well but they do eventually wear out.

The only natural head drum I have gigged with steadily was a djembe. It held up pretty well but mainly because I was playing with hands and it sounded good in a wide range of tunings. Even when it dropped because of temperature or humidity, I could still get a good sound out of it.

Remo makes FiberSkyn and NuSkyn synthetic heads. The FiberSkyns are thinner, more like a frame drum skin. The NnuSkyns are thicker for traditional Conga and Bongo heads. I bought some nNuSkyns in hopes that they would fit some old 60s tunable bongos that I have but alas, they were just under!

If I find something that works with replacable heads, I will definitely let eveyone know!

I am curious about the LP Compact Bongo setup. I have one of the Congas and it is quite nice!

- John
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Thanks for the additional info, John. I had a few responses for robertm in my post, but seems to have been lost with the response 'quote'. Robertm it was about bongos and snongos and variations on the kid's models but I don't recall the specifics - sorry!
zorf

Post by zorf »

Been bongo fixated this week, so bump to this thread.
Picked up a set of super small lp bongos. 31/2 and 41/2 heads.
i believe they are sold under different names with different finishes.
i love that they are so tiny. they are sized perfectly to compliment the cocktail drum
visually. I am finding the teeny heads a challenge to find with my rods and they are
not super loud.
Got my eyes on the toca sheila e. players series. they are 5 and 6 inch i believe.
think that is a better size/sound /weight compromise.
bought a bongo stand but I'm working up a way to mount them directly to the main drum.
As an alternative, I'm also considering a pair of 60's premier bongos at the local drum shop. They use conventional heads however and I'm not sure if they will sound "bongo" enough. If i tune them up high, do you guys think they will sound like bongos or more like timbales?
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

The compact bongo/conga setup sounds surprisingly like drums with a shell. They are just not as loud. I played a set at the local Guitar Center. The problem is they are very expensive. You can buy an intermediate set of congas with shells for about the same price. Too bad. They are compact and easy to schlepp around, which fits our philosophy of one bag, one trip to the car.

I wonder how fyberskyns on a rototom would sound?