Featured item on the Lounge (Club Jordan Case)

matthew medeiros

Featured item on the Lounge (Club Jordan Case)

Post by matthew medeiros »

I checked out the featured item on the lounge, it's the specialty bag kit for the Yamaha Cocktail drums. Says the item is no longer available. Does anyone know if these bags are still available? - sure would like a set for my club J's. Or can you do a special order size for the beato's or Road Runner Cases?? Thanks for any feedback
Matthew
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Matthew,

Check out this post for a bit more on bags:

http://www.cocktaildrum.com/rap/viewtopic.php?t=694

Not entirely sure whether the Yamaha bags are discontinued or not. I haven't gotten a good answer from any vendor.

There are plenty of alternatives though! Do a search in the forum for case and bag. Conga cases tend to work quite well! I have a beato case that fits the Ymaha 15 drum fine with a bit of extra space on top.

- John
matthew medeiros

Cases Reply

Hey John, thanks for the reply on the cases. I did go through and look at the Beato & Road Runner cases. The Beato cases descriptions didn't leave me feeling confident enough to order RE; dimensions. Do you have a specific model on the Beato cases, I'm afraid to order for the Club J. big drum if I don't know the case is going to fit for sure.
Matthew
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Mathew,

I measured my case and the outside dimensions are 18W x 32L. The Jordan main drum fits snugly with all the hardware folded in and as I said , there is about 2 inches of extra space on top.

I did a little more searching around.Beato makes the following:

http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bf ... mtype=gear
3-ply sandwich, heavy duty, shiny black Tolex with 5/8" foam padding. Heavy black fleece interior. 8 cf YKK zipper. Heavy duty 92# nylon thread with nail rivets and heavy-duty webbing handles. Holds sets of toms up to 14" x 12", 12" x 10", and 10" x 9".
It is designed to fit 3 toms in one case. The Musiciansfriend site sais that it is 18W x 42L which doesn't make sense since the toms they list add up to a length of 31 inches. I can't tell if that is accurate or there is just a typo there.

Beato also makes Conga Bags in 3 sizes:

FROM THE BEATO WEBSITE: CONGA BAGS - Available in all styles. Quinto (18" x 31"), Conga (19" x 31"), Tumba (20" x 31").

MusiciansFriend describes the sizes as:10", 11", 12.5"

I believe these are equivilent sizes but it is near impossible to tell!

I believe mine would be a Quinto but the Conga would be the safe bet. You may end up with alittle extra room.

Sadly the Beato price list gives no direct dimensions for the conga bags or the multi-tom bags:

http://www.beatobags.com/

You could try giving them a call (310) 532-2671

I'll bet they could straighten out the dimensions for you quickly.

- John
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Matthew

I have this Beato triple tom bag
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=549646

I got it for my cocktail kit and it works well for me. I have a 14x24 however. I pack it with its legs and then put my 16" crashride then smaller cymbals on top. I use the padded spacers between my 10" snare then 8" tom and tambourim. I can also fit a couple extra heads in the middle.

But I think the key for you is that the 16" cymbal fits the diameter of the case just fine - not loosely but it's not a squeeze either. Use that 16" measurement as a safety zone to see if your 15" bigdrum could fit. If it does, I gotta say it's a solid bag - I'm confident lugging my drums in it.
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

NOTE: I moved this to the discussion forum since
------
Hey Multiperc,

That is the first bag I listed:

So that bag really is 41" tall? It was confusing in the description. So that also means I must have the Corduro Conga bag. Either the Quinto or Conga (small or medium). My bag definitely only fits the main drum but I definitely could put cymbals on top with that extra 2" space. A 15" for certain. I'll have to try a 16" cymbal.

Thanks for the info!

BTW, I have added these bags to the shop!

- John
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

John
Right - your post tipped me off.
I'll measure height and confirm in a post later. Another thing to add is that the straps/handle are well made and adjustable. And with a short schlep and reasonable amount of maneuvering space, I've (a couple of times) hauled the whole mess hanging on my back. One downside of this bag is the price but for me the protection was important
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Ok, height measures 41" outside. Another note about height is that when I stack all drums and cymbals, it pushes the 41" limit a bit but there is some wiggle room with the case and it's padded separators so all is safe and secure.
matthew medeiros

multiperc wrote:Ok, height measures 41" outside. Another note about height is that when I stack all drums and cymbals, it pushes the 41" limit a bit but there is some wiggle room with the case and it's padded separators so all is safe and secure.
Hey, thanks much for the replies!! Hey Multiperc, you don't find the 42 inch bag with the toms & cymbals a heavy Schlep?? I'm thinkin for my broken down body, the bag for just the big drum might be a better choice for me. I have a road runner case that fits my side snare & side tom nicely, and it just gives me the option of spliiting up the weight. I recently had Johny Craviotto build me a 5 X 12 side snare to match the silver sparkle club J. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I had em put the Yamaha Y.E.S.S. mount. Anway, I'll take another look at those bags. I like the choice of the big drum only bag, I've got my club Jordan load in & out to a one load load in, I love it!!!
Matthew
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Matthew

Yes it is kinda heavy, but keep in mind that I have a smallish big drum, and just a 10" snare and 8" tom. My cymbals are on the smaller and lighter side too. I suspect that the total weight is a somewhat less than gettinig a Jordan with heavier cymbals into that bag. But it was really important to me to have a luggable kit, so I wanted to go that route.

I have shlepped it and it wasn't fun, but it was possible. I've since started using a luggage roller thingy and having this nice padded single case makes for relatively easy moving.

You make a very good point - splitting up the weight is definitely smart and easier on the body. Which is important because cocktail drumming has its own physical challenges.