GET UP? STAND UP?

fuzzy5113

GET UP? STAND UP?

Post by fuzzy5113 »

hey there,
i sing lead and play a traditional drumkit setup in a new jersey shore cover band....i had toyed with the cocktail drum notion as a way to be more up-front live, but chickened out because i'm a wuss....well, now we have a gig wherein club/bar management wants a less-overpowering drum sound....i was looking at the verve kit posted in the forum mainly b/c it's affordable, but i've really never played standing up....any words of wisdom for the novice from the elite? :)
matthew medeiros

Re: GET UP? STAND UP?

Post by matthew medeiros »

fuzzy5113 wrote:hey there,
i sing lead and play a traditional drumkit setup in a new jersey shore cover band....i had toyed with the cocktail drum notion as a way to be more up-front live, but chickened out because i'm a wuss....well, now we have a gig wherein club/bar management wants a less-overpowering drum sound....i was looking at the verve kit posted in the forum mainly b/c it's affordable, but i've really never played standing up....any words of wisdom for the novice from the elite? :)
Who ya acussing of being elite :?: I find a couple things 1) If I set up (play) too close to the big drum, that is the distance for my right leg/foot to hit the pedal is too close, then I'm sore after playing. 2) Remember to play relaxed standing just like you would on a sit down set, don't try to do everything standing that you would do sitting, the whole idea of cocktail is a more spare playing style. 3) I usually for-go my left foot on the hi hat if I have problems playing. The nice thing about playing Cocktail is that you will be forced to play a whole new style, and that can be refreshing.!! good luck
Matthew
fuzzy5113

Post by fuzzy5113 »

thanx matthew! i appreciate your help!
jim kooser

Post by jim kooser »

I'll echo what Matthew said. I've been playing standing up for a while now, and it does require an adjustment in style. I've been playing my hats closed, I never got the abiltiy to use both feet, while standing up, and not fall over or sound like crap. I just began experimenting with a drop clutch, awkward now but shows some promise. I think you'll be pleased with the added attention the band gets when the drummer stands up!