Tunning tips, Re:earlier post "Verve Cocktail Kit"

John Kepler

Tunning tips, Re:earlier post "Verve Cocktail Kit"

Post by John Kepler »

Found some tuning tips from Kelly Smith listed in the Rogers section of the Models area of this site. As requested in the earlier post, still seeking any tips or advice from players who have been out there gigging with a cocktail kit.
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey John,

Welcome to the forum. Have you gotten your kit yet?

The Verve is another Club Jordan style 3 piece kit with a main drum, small tom and side snare. I assume that you will be using the snare instead of the main drum as a snare.

There are lots of options for heads and tuning. Try searching the forums for additional information/discussions.

My general feeling is that, to get a good kick drum sound you should use a thick bottom head tuned low on the main drum. Then select the top head on what works best with the bottom head. As far as tuning, it seems that tuning the top head an octave up from the bottom gets a good resonance and tone.

My Club Jordan cam with a dot head and a zero ring on the bottom. It sounds nice and dry with punch (a bit 70s) but the top head (coated ambasador) sounded choked. Lots of overtones and no fundamental. I have changed the top head to a coated emporer and with a little tape it sounds quite good. I have put on Emporeres all around and the kit has a nice rock sound to it.

The evans heads could sound cool. I'm sure it will be a very dead sound but it might serve your purposes. Be prepared to experiment, so don't give up to quickly. You will find your sound with some trial and error!

- John