How rare is my Leedy cocktail drum?

Curt Garey

Post by Curt Garey »

Hi John,<br>
<br>
What a great site! I didn't see too many Leedy's though.<br>
I was wondering if you could tell me how old and how rare my Leedy cocktail drum is.<br>
<br>
Here's the description: the drum measures 24"x14", it has an 5"x8" tom that attaches to<br>
the side. The black paint it had when I acquired it was cracking and peeling over the entire <br>
shell, (my dad and I refinished it, and it looks beautiful). It also has a bracket (which looks<br>
exactly like the brackets that hold the legs) minus the arm, for a cymbal to be mounted from. <br>
There are two knobs on the drum: one that controls some "little snare wires", and another <br>
which controls an internal muffler. It has an oval Leedy Drums badge that has printed on it: <br>
"SINCE 1895" and "CHICAGO 48, ILL. U.S.A."<br>
<br>
Any advice would be appreciated.<br>
Thanks,<br>
<br>
Curt Garey<br>
curtdg@yahoo.com
<p></p><i></i>
mike

Post by mike »

I just put a Leedy cocktail on layaway. Its a 14x24 drum with both heads and the same snare mechanism you are talking about, looks like a brush (like the brushes you use in place of sticks) mounted on the inside with a tension knob on the outside of the drum. The drum is white mother of toilet seat finish and comes with a small tom that has a bongo head on it. this mounts on the side of the drum with a drop-in mount. It has the same finish as the main drum body. The guy at the store said it was a 60's Leedy. It also came with the cymbal mount and another mount bracket, and new heads. Im pretty stoked about this drum. I got it for 300. what did you get yours for?<br>
<br>
Mike
<p></p><i></i>