Cocktail Drums in the UK

Alessandro

Cocktail Drums in the UK

Post by Alessandro »

Hello to everyone for the UK and thanks for John for hooking me up with this forum.

I'm a pro kit player but have fallen in love with Cocktail drums after coming across Keith Cronin's and Kyle Bronson's kits on line ... then I found this site and now I'm hooked!

However it's proving difficult to find anything Cocktail drum related in the UK and it's very difficult to buy a cocktail kit retail without getting it shipped from the US which seems to cost way too much $400+ just for the shipping.

I did find this on eBay :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cocktail-Club-Dru ... dZViewItem

But it doesn't look that good, the 4 lug 8" snare being about the final straw!

So I've decided to make my own.

The shell is ordered (although I've had to pay double because because of the depth of the shell I've gone for - 16" x 24"). I only had the choice of 4.5mm birch or 6mm birch - maple isn't available in the UK ... I went for the 6mm.

I promise to post pics as I go along (check measurements, check measurements ...) but any tips will be gratefully received.

Cheers

A
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

Oh cool. I can't wait to hear more about your project. I considered the same thing until I ran into a used 16" floor tom at a local shop, and that changed my approach. I sometimes lament that I didn't take the home-made approach, mostly because I missed out on some of the more construction-oriented pieces of the project. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Alessandro

Post by Alessandro »

Just an update, really.

DW 5000 pedal - stripped, re-sprayed and converted - works great!

16" x 24" Shell - On order

I've also bought (from eBay) a vintage WMP 16" Olympic floor tom with a mind to strip it down and re-imagine/re-create a vintage-esque Olympic Cocktail Drum using the silverware - legs, lugs, hoops etc

A
halfcocked

Post by halfcocked »

Another one gets the "Cocktail Bug"! These Things are fun! We all look forward to new inventions and concepts. As there are no fixed rules, the designs are wide open.You have your basic Bass style Tom and then ya just keep adding to it. Good luck with your project and keep us posted!