Great cymbal for mini-kit: Sabian El Sabor 13" splash

zimbop

Great cymbal for mini-kit: Sabian El Sabor 13" splash

Post by zimbop »

My search for the perfect cocktail cymbal is over. I was at my local guitar center this weekend and they had this cymbal I had read about but never seen before. The Sabian El Sabor 13" splash. I fell in love with it immediately. It actually rides pretty nice for such a small cymbal, the crash is quite good, relatively fast and not too loud, and it has an awesome bell. Talk about a perfect all-purpose cymbal for a cocktail/mini kit. I bought it on the spot, and it's working great. All for a mere $110, I'm quite pleased.
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Thanks for the heads up Zimbop!

I added this cymbal to the shop cymbal page. Sorry that a lot of the items don't work. Musician's Friend changed their affiliate program and now I have to recreate each link!

http://www.cocktaildrum.com/shop/store_ ... ch_catid=6

- John
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

Sounds good. Too bad I couldn't have bought it through your shopping program myself. I have tried using some of the shopping links on the home page and none of them work, they all say the program is no longer active.
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

zimbop wrote:Sounds good. Too bad I couldn't have bought it through your shopping program myself. I have tried using some of the shopping links on the home page and none of them work, they all say the program is no longer active.
Yeah, sory about that. They changed the affiliate program and now none of the links work. It takes a lot of time to make individual links but I only want to put in things that are related to Cocktail Drummers!

Hopefully soon I will get it sorted out. Thanks for trying though!

- John
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

jmettam wrote:
zimbop wrote:Sounds good. Too bad I couldn't have bought it through your shopping program myself. I have tried using some of the shopping links on the home page and none of them work, they all say the program is no longer active.
Yeah, sory about that. They changed the affiliate program and now none of the links work. It takes a lot of time to make individual links but I only want to put in things that are related to Cocktail Drummers!

Hopefully soon I will get it sorted out. Thanks for trying though!

- John
Ok then. Would you consider adding some of the items from the hardware page? There are a few items I have my eyes on, and if I buy then I'd just as soon have you get something out of it. I am considering the reverse foot pedal bracket to attach the pedal to the floor tom legs, meinl universal mount, the LP percussion claw, , gibraltar Jaw, and suspension tom mounts & brackets.

I see that it's a lot of work, there's no hurry really, but I'll be buying some of these items in the next month or so. Thanks.
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Zim,

I'll work on that stuff first!

You can always click on the store links at the bottom of the page (Musicians Friend, ZZounds) and anything that you purchase after following that link will count towards the CocktailDrum affiliate program. So, don't let my slowness stop you! :)

Thanks for wanting to help out!

- John
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

What I really need right now is the foot pedal bracket. But I can't find it anywhere... where was that link supposed to go?
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

zimbop wrote:What I really need right now is the foot pedal bracket. But I can't find it anywhere... where was that link supposed to go?
Sadly, Yamaha has stopped selling their pedal bracket for the Club Jordan. It was very expensive but at least it was an option!

I believe they will sell you one at Phattie Drums.

I anyone knows of a good supplier of brackets. let us know!

- John
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

I have one of these Sabian El Sabor 13" splashes on another kit. Good observation on the ride sound - I wouldn't have thought of that from a cymbal like this
Will try it with the ol' coktial kit sometime soon - thanks for the tip
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

jmettam wrote:
zimbop wrote:What I really need right now is the foot pedal bracket. But I can't find it anywhere... where was that link supposed to go?
Sadly, Yamaha has stopped selling their pedal bracket for the Club Jordan. It was very expensive but at least it was an option!

- John
Ooh, that's sad. I will try phattie. Though I noticed you took the picture down from the shopping page, I wanted to use that pic to explain to them what I'm looking for.

I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks.
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

multiperc wrote:I have one of these Sabian El Sabor 13" splashes on another kit. Good observation on the ride sound - I wouldn't have thought of that from a cymbal like this
Will try it with the ol' coktial kit sometime soon - thanks for the tip
Cool. It's not the best ride sound in the world. but for a single all-purpose cymbal, it's not too bad. I use the bell a lot, and it's just the right amount of crash for a mini-kit.
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

Here's a pic and a video of my El Sabor Salsa Splash. There's one video which has ride and bell sounds, a second video shows the crash with a pretty soft hit. My camera seems to pick up more wash sound than you really hear in the room... the hits sound more distinctive in person. It also makes the crash sound a little more gong-ey than in person.

Ride/Bell video: http://www.zimbop.com/pics/drums/elsaborride.mpg

Crash video: http://www.zimbop.com/pics/drums/elsaborcrash.mpg

It can also do some pretty cool patterns: http://www.zimbop.com/pics/drums/elsaborpattern.mpg

Pic:

zimbop

Post by zimbop »

zimbop wrote:
jmettam wrote:

- John
Ooh, that's sad. I will try phattie. Though I noticed you took the picture down from the shopping page, I wanted to use that pic to explain to them what I'm looking for.

I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks.
I emailed Phattie. They have nothing. They said they used to get them from Yamaha.