Buying a cocktail kit from Phattie Drums Co. Co.

Bob Rodriguez

Post by Bob Rodriguez »

Hello everyone,<br>
<br>
This website is a great idea. Hopefully it will <br>
catch on and more people will check it out. <br>
Anyway, I just wanted to say that I now have <br>
cocktail drum fever. I bought one of thow cheap<br>
Yamaha copies at Sam Ash music just to see if I <br>
liked playing one and now I am hooked. I sold <br>
that kit and now I'm getting ready to order a <br>
custom made cocktail kit from The Phattie Drums <br>
Co. I saw this company on another message board <br>
and I've been emailing them with questions in <br>
regards to making a kit for me. I originally <br>
thought about buying a Yamaha Club Jordan but <br>
they only come in two colors. Besides, I don't <br>
care for an 8" snare. I would rather have a 10". <br>
And I would rather pick a color that I like. I<br>
also thought about buying a vintage kit but I <br>
would much rather have on made to my liking.<br>
This kit I'm ordering will be blue marine pearl<br>
and will have an 8" tom and a 10" snare. <br>
The main drum will be 16x24. I'll let you know<br>
how it turns out. By the way if you want to <br>
contact this company, they are at <br>
phattiedrums@juno.com<br>
Ask for Dennis. He is really great to work with.<br>
And in case you are wondering how much I'm paying<br>
for for this kit......it's around $600. <br>
That's about $500 less than the Yamaha kit.<br>
<br>
I'll keep you posted,<br>
<br>
Bob<br>
robert.rodriguez@aerojet.com<br>
Bob Rodriguez
<p></p><i></i>
Don

Post by Don »

Bob,<br>
I just ordered my Phattie Kit in the same sizes as you describe - different color, though. I'll let you know how it turns out!
<p></p><i></i>
John Mettam

Post by John Mettam »

Thanks for the kind words! Two new cocktail kits, that's great!! Please keep us posted. If you get any pics, send them to me and I'll add them to the site!<br>
<br>
John
<p></p><i></i>
Don

Post by Don »

John,<br>
I emailed a pic to you of the Phattie kit - see if you can post it here.<br>
Thanks,<br>
-Don
<p></p><i></i>
Don

Post by Don »

Well, I recieved my Phatties. Truly awesome! The Slingerland lugs are classy, the hand rubbed satin oil finish is gorgeous, and the bearing edges are perfect! The stock bass batter head is a black dot, and I will replace that with a Remo Powerstroke 4 ASAP. <br>
<br>
Dennis at Phattie Drums was a pleasure to deal with. He made me feel like he really cares about the customer. You can see the kit I bought at his website:<br>
<br>
www.phattiedrums.com
<p></p><i></i>
Dean koba

Post by Dean koba »

These drums look great & the drum dimensions are much more realistic than the club Jordans'. I had to dump the 8" snare from the Yamaha kit & replace it with at 12" snare. <br>
Dean<br>
<br>
www.bayoubrass.com
<p></p><i></i>
Traps95

Post by Traps95 »

Sing the praises of Phattie Drums Co.! <br>
<br>
I have a story I'd like to share: <br>
<br>
I ordered a set of Cocktails from Phattie Drums (see the discussion under "My Cocktail Kit") and they arrived damaged. Due to unknown circumstances (probably the late shift at UPS) the main drum was busted right above one of the leg mounting brackets. Something on the inside of the shell shifted and busted through all 6-plies! <br>
<br>
I e-mailed Dennis immediately and he responded via phone within the hour. The only solution was to replace the shell...Dennis (Founder & CEO) worked with me during this time frame and was very understanding of my situation and responded very promptly to my daily "stauts update" e-mails. <br>
<br>
After about a month's time, Dennis actually drove, yes, drove to my house with the new shell. I sat in my own living room and watched Dennis remount the hardware and tune the kit himself! (I only live about 2 hours from Phattie's HQ. in Blacksburg, VA) Imagine Yamaha or DW or anybody doing that for you! <br>
<br>

<p></p><i></i>
kcronin

Post by kcronin »

Traps, I think I just bought your old drum shell! Dennis listed a damaged green shell on eBay, and I won it cheap. I've got some ideas I want to try with vent holes and baffles, and was looking for a drum shell to hack around on while I seek the ultimate configuration, and this works out perfectly.<br>
<br>
I agree, Dennis is GREAT to work with - he really takes care of his customers. I bought some hardware from him, and got some great advice and tremendous service! He knows his stuff!<br>
<br>
When I get this setup tweaked, I'll send a follow-up message and maybe a photo. The green is really nice, but I may end up wrapping mine to cover any drilling I do as I perform my mad-scientist experiments on this shell...<br>
<br>
-Keith
<p></p><i></i>