Head for Vespe cocktail drum

Randy Rudolph

Head for Vespe cocktail drum

Post by Randy Rudolph »

I know someone who has a Vespe cocktail drum. It has no head. It appears to be 14" (so I'm told; I haven't actually seen the drum) but a 14" head won't fit, not even the Aquarian Vintage heads that are supposed to accomodate oversize shells. Anyone else here have one of these? Is this usual for these drums? I'm thinking it's out of round, but I won't know until I see the thing...
matthew medeiros

Vespe drums

Post by matthew medeiros »

Hey Randy, I have two 13 inch Vespe cocktail drums. In measuring the shell they measure just at 13 inces in diameter. One drum has an aquarian vintage which fits well, the other drum has a mapex unicorn BA head which seems a little big. One other thing about the Vespes, is that they had a unique hoop that fit so it was flush to the top of the drum when everything was assembled, so maybe your friend has the wrong hoop? Have him (her) measure the outside diameter of the shell without the head on if it is a 14 inch shell a 14 inch head should fit, if the drum is out of round that should be evident by looking at the drum. Hope this helps....................one other thing, you can browse the photo gallery for a vespe to see what the hoop assembly looks like. I'm not sure if there is a shot of a Vespe in the photo gallery.
Matthew