Wing nut adjustable rim mount external tone control

hayden

Wing nut adjustable rim mount external tone control

Post by hayden »

Hi all,

Here is a product the may be of interest. It will hopefully benefit me (when I get it) because the batter side damping I have added to my snare drum greatly enhances snare sound but is moderately detrimental to the tom sound for times when I do not wish to use snares. This external rim mount wing nut adjustable damper would allow me to adjust damping on the fly for all tonal situations. Also eliminates the more intensive need for installing an internal tone control.

Here is an example from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Drum-Dampers-Hoo ... dZViewItem

I will be sure to post my experience with this product as soon as I get it.

Regards,

Hayden.
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

That does look pretty handy. I never quite understood why thy encapsulated those inside the drum, this one looks easier to change on the fly. Can you hook up something with a quick clamp, like a hihat clutch lever, to turn it on and off quickly? Something like this:

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES. ... UM=173-001

Also, have you tried e-rings? That's what I use on the top head to control resonance, and it's easy to pull off quickly, though I'm sure it will give you less dampening than this pad.
robertm

Post by robertm »

Cool device for sure. I got one and attached a snare fan to it - it's posted in the gallery, pic. #224 I believe. I later fanned out the half-snare and it sounds, with a very high-tuned top head, fairly snappy. I can take the snare off pretty fast when i want to use brushes. Speed of deployment is a real plus for drummers who don't want to crank endlessly on an internal knob.
hayden

Post by hayden »

Great ideas Zimbop and Robertm! The snare fan idea is gold, I wouldn't mind ordering a few more of these bad boys and see what wonderful things I can create. Also good for the fact that they aren't a permanent and altering fixture to the drum.

Zimbop, I imagine it would be quite easy to rig up some kind of deal like that. I guess it could be as simple as just a lever with some kind of cam on it, so it pushes down on the pad when in one position, and not in the other. Still with the wing nut for overall adjustment. I might play around with these when I get them and let you all know if I come up with anything useful.

If erings are those plastic rings you put around the perimeter of the drum head, yes I used to use those, but made them out of worn out drum heads. They were good back in the day, and very fast to remove!

Cheers,

Hayden.
robertm

Post by robertm »

Yes-please let us know if you meet with success in the throwoff area. An external snare with a quick release throwoff - that would be the perfect way to set up a cocktail drum!
hayden

Post by hayden »

Well, it arrived, and is much too large for use on my 8inch snare drum, but makes perfect use for the 15inch bass drum. Saves having to remove a head to adjust muffling as often, although is sounding pretty good with a very small amount of pillow stuffing inside, and the top head tuned a little higher. I did have to bend one of the brackets to get it to sit nicely against the head but this was no hassle. The felt is excellent condition for muffling purposes. All in all a great investment for 8 dollars! I might get another one soon, and experiment with reducing the size of the pad and/or a throw-off mechanism to use on the snare drum (that'd be really good!).

Regards,

Hayden.