Cascara boards

matthew medeiros

Cascara boards

Post by matthew medeiros »

I just came across 3 or 4 solid wood drum shell fragments and thought they might make a good do it yourself cascara board for people that don't have one. The pieces are raw, unfinished solid wood, looks to be mahagony and maple. They seem to be the right diameter, and are somewhat bigger pieces than a finished board allowing you to cut it down to your size. Let me know if interested and I'll mail you a piece. :idea:
Matthew
zimbop

Re: Cascara boards

Post by zimbop »

matthew medeiros wrote:I just came across 3 or 4 solid wood drum shell fragments and thought they might make a good do it yourself cascara board for people that don't have one. The pieces are raw, unfinished solid wood, looks to be mahagony and maple. They seem to be the right diameter, and are somewhat bigger pieces than a finished board allowing you to cut it down to your size. Let me know if interested and I'll mail you a piece. :idea:
Sounds interesting... I could be talked into that. I never wanted one bad enough to buy one, but the chance to make one seems intriguing enough. I am a sucker for auxiliary percussion. I'd have to look into how they're made I guess, I never paid that much attention.
jmettam
Site Admin

Re: Cascara boards

Post by jmettam »

zimbop wrote: I'd have to look into how they're made I guess, I never paid that much attention.
You could do it like Yamaha does on the Club Jordan with two 'L' brackets on top (that fit under the lug screw heads) and piece of spacer foam between the bottom and the side of the drum!

Should be pretty simple.

- John

zimbop

Post by zimbop »

How would you characterize the sound from these? Is it like a wood block or what?
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

zimbop wrote:How would you characterize the sound from these? Is it like a wood block or what?
I would say more like hitting the side of a floor tom with a stick. A high slap sound. Not so resonant or hollow as a wood block.

- John
bongojimi

Post by bongojimi »

Hi
I'm new here but have been a cocktail/Percussionist(Congas)/Kit drummer for over 40yrs.. I might sugjest if you ran that part of drum shell through a table saw set very shallow and then moved the fence 1/4 inch and repeated you'd end up with both a sound board and a scratch board(Like the hand held fish shaped hollow,Latin instrument). I'm currently playing a Club Jordan and use my sound board a lot.
I'm hoping to get to know all of you better in the future and feed off your collective knowledge.

Peace
Bongo
hayden

Post by hayden »

Mathew: that is a generous opportunity you are providing. The idea of a cascara board never really appealed to me until I just read bongojimi's post, but now I am quite interested. I have sent you an email! : ) Cheers!

Bongojimi: The idea of a scratch-board is fantastic! Did you modify your club-Jordan board with the grooves? If so, what did you do about the finish?

Hayden.
bongojimi

Post by bongojimi »

Hi Hayden
No I didn't alter my Club Jordan. I have a wood block that my girl freind gave me that has the groves in it. It mounts above my cow-bell.
The Grooves aren't as tight a pattern as I would like but it does function as a wood-block and a scratch block. Sounds best with blast sticks (Hot Rods) as extra dowling softens up the tone and mutiplies the effect.

Peace
Bongo
hayden

Post by hayden »

So you would recommend many shallow grooves. The Hot Rods seem to make sense as well; they are another thing I have never got around to trying. Sounds like it might be worth experimenting with the groove pattern before knocking up the real thing.

Thanks,

H.
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

hayden wrote:So you would recommend many shallow grooves. The Hot Rods seem to make sense as well; they are another thing I have never got around to trying. Sounds like it might be worth experimenting with the groove pattern before knocking up the real thing.

Thanks,

H.
I like hot rods. It's a good half-way between sticks and brushes. I prefer the ones that are all-wood dowels. The first pair I got were a layer of dowels around a core of soft felt material. They were too soft for me, but I occasionally use them for a more mellow sound.
hayden

Post by hayden »

I had no idea you could get felt core ones, sounds interesting. Do you notice much difference between clear heads and coated heads with the rods?

Hayden.