Kick drum pedal issues

zimbop

Kick drum pedal issues

Post by zimbop »

So, the first run through on my floor tom to bass drum conversion, I used a mapex pedal. Then I sold that kit and sent the pedal with it. I now have my Iron cobra adapted for the purpose. This pedal was substantially more difficult to convert due to the mechanical design of it, and there's another problem. Due to the geometry of having the cam turned around, the foot speed to beater speed ratio is quite altered. Moving my foot about a half inch generates a full swing of the beater. This is much more sensitive than I was used to. Any suggestions?
halfcocked

Post by halfcocked »

Just go to musicians friend and buy the pulse pedal. Reverses well and cheap.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=444565
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

The most significant issue with the Cobra, and somewhat with the mapex too, is that with the cam reversed, the pedal is really pulling forward on the chain, rather than down on it because the point where the chain rolls off the cam is above the foot insread of above the toe of the pedal. Is that geometery different with the pulse pedal?
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

zimbop wrote: Is that geometery different with the pulse pedal?
The pulse pedal has a fair amount of vertical space between the foot plate and the cam. Also, the cam can be rotated to any position independently of the beater position. This way you can adjust the cam to give more chain length to the pedal. The pedal begins it's travel further up the cam (slower response) which is a good thing. I find it to be a very comfortable and playable setup!

- John

Before:

After:

zimbop

Post by zimbop »

That looks like a pretty darn decent pedal for thirty bucks. Is there or can you get a toe stop on the footboard?
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Looks like there is a square slot for a toe stop on the Pulse Pro Pedal but it doesn't come with one.

There are a couple of toe stops for sale at musicians friend:

Gibraltar sells a 2-pack that says it fits most brands:

$9 - funny it is 1/3 the cost of the pedal!

Also DW sells one but looks to me like it might not fit right:

hayden

Post by hayden »

Excellent, I'm getting some toe-stops! Toe - chain contact is awfully annoying...