mini timbales

multiperc

mini timbales

Post by multiperc »

Hi all

Anyone using a set of the several available mini-timbales with their cocktail or microkits?

I'm considering this set from LP to add to my cocktail and microkits:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=440580

Send on some feedback if anyone has used them in this application
Thanks!
bongojimi

Post by bongojimi »

Hi Mutiperc
In my opinion they are excellant . They really rip...and their small and can be tucked in an open slot. Of course they are a bit heavy and need a post of their own or a heavy duty muti-post.
I've never hung mine off the cocktail drum but have used them with my percussion rack when I play Congas.
Definately a must if you've got any Latin rythms in your play list.
Don't forget to get some Timballe sticks with them
Low rider by WAR is an excellant practice number for timba &Bells/Blocks
GET THEM
You'll not regrete it

Peace

BONGO
zimbop

Re: mini timbales

Post by zimbop »

multiperc wrote:Hi all

Anyone using a set of the several available mini-timbales with their cocktail or microkits?

I'm considering this set from LP to add to my cocktail and microkits:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=440580

Send on some feedback if anyone has used them in this application
Thanks!
Yes, I use exactly that set on my mini-kit. I love it. They're pretty high pitched, but I like the sound because I use smaller cymbals and such anyway so it all goes nicely together. You can also put normal tom heads on them for more of a tom sound instead of the timbale ring. Remo Pinstripes are nice for that. I mounted mine onto my 16" floor tom which I use as a bass, by adding a rims suspension mount with tom leg clamp, and used a cymbal boom rod, mounting the timbales to the tilt head on the cymbal boom. It's plenty sturdy, I'm even going to add a clamp-on splash stand to the rod too.

Check out my post in the "Your cocktail Kit" board under "Mini Kit Under Consctruction". Be sure to scroll all the way down to see my latest kit with the timbales on it

http://www.cocktaildrum.com/rap/viewtopic.php?t=761

Or, to save you the trouble, here's a pic of my setup (more pics at the original post link above, showing how I mounted them and such and discussing more details).

jmettam
Site Admin

Re: mini timbales

Post by jmettam »

Hey Multi,

I have used the 10" timbale on-and-off. Works well. Also, sometimes if I need a floor tom sound I will tune it way down low. It gets pretty slappy but it works ok.

I'm with Bongo. They are a bit on the heavy side so you may want something on the other sode of the drum to counter balance!

- John

zimbop

Post by zimbop »

Hey jmettam, what 10" timbale is that? I have seen a couple small ones like that, which one do you have? Thanks.
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

thankyou zimbop and John!

I now recall both of these photos (duh) and it's helpful to know that I need to consider weight and balance on the kit if I include these lovelies.

I've been using a small brazilian tambourim (I think 6") mounted off my sidesnare on the cocktial kit, and it's sound is ultra tight and piercing. Moreso than what I'd expect from these mini timbales.

However, I am really looking to approximate the punchiness of a couple octobans (especially when used with my microkit). So in that pursuit, I might get these and swap the heads for CS or other slightly heavier heads to achieve more of a pop, than a ting. zimbob is this kind of sound possible with these mini timbales?

A fun side note: my teenage son is a big System of a Down enthusiast and these mini timbales are offered in a bundle so-designed by SOAD's drummer. A small but real generational link between our interests!
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

multiperc, I believe these timbales with regular tom heads on them will sound much like rototoms. I have heard from people who have done it, and they claim it's more like a tom than a timbale with thicker heads. I played some rototoms at the store last night and decided that if I try it I will use the remo pinstripes that the rototoms come with. I am not certain, but my best estimation is that the sound will be similar. The guy at the store figured they might also sound like marching quads. I'm not in a hurry, but If I do it I will try to post a little video so you can check out what they sound like.
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

zimbop wrote:Hey jmettam, what 10" timbale is that? I have seen a couple small ones like that, which one do you have? Thanks.
Hey,

My timbale is a Toca. Very inexpensive!

Remeber that now Toca makes a version of these with Cocktail Drum style snare strainers!!!

For a bit more money you can get dual function. Alwasy good with a portable setup!

Also, I have tried a pinstipe on this. It lets you tune it down a bit lower but I was not so crazy about the sound. VERY flappy.

- John
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

I bought a pair of ebony pinstripe heads for the LP mini timbales tonight so I can try out the sound using them as toms instead of timps. I was poking around at a local shop and found them quite cheap ($5 each!), so I decided to try them out. I will try to post some video to share the sound, as soon as I get them put on.

As for the Toca 10", I like that it has regular drum key lugs. My LPs have a nut and bolt system. I'm not sure why but it doesn't seem especially convenient.
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

thankyou in advance, zimbop, for offering to try these heads as an alternative on the minitimbales. i haven't picked these up yet so this will be helpful when you get to putting them on and posting
the nut and bolt tuning is a nod to traditional timbales (my full size timbales are tuned that way) and i kinda agree it's not as convenient when using these drums in a kit where all other drums are tuned with a key.
percussionists with tunable afro/cuban instruments (congas, timbales) somehow are ok tuning with their wrench!
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

Sure thing. I've been slow to do it because once I get heads sounding nice I'm always afraid to take them down, for fear of not getting them to sound good again. I do like the timbale sound, but I also want to experiment. Some evening this week perhaps.