Remote Hi Hat Conversion

bykrmyk

Remote Hi Hat Conversion

Post by bykrmyk »

Has anyone converted a standard hi hat to a remote? If so how?
zimbop

Re: Remote Hi Hat Conversion

Post by zimbop »

bykrmyk wrote:Has anyone converted a standard hi hat to a remote? If so how?
I sold my regular one and bought a remote unit. How's that for a conversion? :-)

If you're considering a remote hihat unit, I have a pearl eliminator RH2000 for sale at the moment. It's a great unit, I just found a DW for a great deal while I was waiting for the pearl to arrive. $150.
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

Yeah, the $150 is what I'm trying to avoid. That's a good price though. I may have to defer this to phase two of the project and ping you then. Thanks!
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

bykrmyk wrote:Yeah, the $150 is what I'm trying to avoid. That's a good price though. I may have to defer this to phase two of the project and ping you then. Thanks!
Ok then. Though if I'm lucky I won't still have it. :-) I know they're pricey, but I had sold another drum set when i started building my mini-kit, so I had money to spend and it seemed like what I really needed, so I sprung for it. Then I bought another one. Oops. :-)
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

It can be done. I built one just to see if I could balance and play the cocktail kit with one before I put money down on a DW one. I just used spare washers and nuts to pinch a bicycle brake line I purchased (cheap) on to the top rod of the hi hats and bottom rod. I made a few cheap brackets to mount springs on so that the rod would return upwards. The hat made it a little heavy to return fully. It worked but needed refining. I didn't bother putting too much time in it as I say I was just testing it out. It probably cost me $15.00 total.

Dinkus
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

So if I can separate the base of the hi hat and the pedal from the rods and tubes, then I should be able to use a cable as an extended linkage in place of a chain. Sounds doable. I happen to have a spare bicycle cable in the garage and plenty of spare washers, nuts, bolts, etc. I would think something heavier (like the clutch cable from my neighbor's Harley) would work better. ;) Thanks!
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Mike,

If you do it, don't forget to take pictures at various steps along the way so you can post a 'how-to' to the forum!

Thanks,

- John
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

Sure! That would be interesting.
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

If you're considering a remote hihat unit, I have a pearl eliminator RH2000 for sale at the moment. It's a great unit, I just found a DW for a great deal while I was waiting for the pearl to arrive. $150.
Do you still have the pedal?
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

bykrmyk wrote:
Do you still have the pedal?
No, I sold it. Sorry. They come up on ebay pretty often. I would recommend the DW anyway, it's much better, easier to use and adjust, plus various lengths of cable are available for it.

Unless of course you're after the short tube, for that the pearl is unbeatable.
metrodrum

Remote Hat

Post by metrodrum »

I'm working with a machinist on a novl approach to a cocktail hat.

About a month away, I'll post pictures when I got the first proto.

Matthew@Metropolitan
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

Cool! So you're going to let all your cocktaildrum buddies beta test them, right? :D
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

I'm game, always looking for just the right contraption... keep us posted.