Wooden Bass Drum Hoops

hayden

Wooden Bass Drum Hoops

Post by hayden »

Hi,

Has anybody made the conversion to wooden hoops on their cocktail kit?

These guys:
http://stores.ebay.com.au/DRUM-GEAR-ONL ... ms-Cymbals

seem to make/sell 18inch to 24inch pairs just quickly taking a look. I think they are into customs as well.

I wonder how much wooden hoops would enhance the sound of a cocktail kit? Or maybe wooden on bottom, metal on top (don't want all that wood getting in the way of actually playing...)

Hayden.
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

Yup and I love them on both cocktail or sit down kit. Check it out. www.dinkusdrums.com/cocktail.html

Dinkus
tikifreak

wooden hoop for kick drum

Post by tikifreak »

I'm planning on getting the Yamaha Vintage wood hoop to put on the bottom of my 16" x 16" kick drum / floor tom. I am expecting that the wood hoop will add some warmth to the punchy kick drum sound I'm getting.

Dinkus, can you elaborate on the differences in sound? Deeper tone? More volume? Let us know, and thanks for your comments.

tikifreak
hayden

Post by hayden »

yes Dinkus, please do elaborate. I am quite interested now.
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

There must be a big difference in sound between bass drum styple hoops (taller and thinner) and the thicker vintage hoops.

Anyone have any experience comparing the two?

- John

Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

As always it's tough to give a description of sound. It really is subjective. I would have to say that wood rims have a little less attack or maybe just a different pitch I guess. There seems to be a bit warmer tone from the wood rims. I really like how wood rims feel to play on and look. I wouldn't say they make more volume, maybe a little less but at the volumes I play, stupid loud to soft they still rip through the stage. So not a concern if one is worried about lack of volume. I guess you could say they make the drums a little more woody sounding. They are very strong. I have one on a snare that spent 3 years on solid 6 nighters, there is some wear but that's it. I have not played the thick rim ones. I personally hate the look and wide rim so I can't comment. I'm sure they work well.

Dinkus
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

about these hoops, I have one of these vintage maple hoops (from drummaker.com) fitted on my 5x13 porkpie snare. I definitely love the attack and enhanced tone. I used the triple original flanged hoop for a year and then tried a die cast rim (which I like on other snares). for this drum, the maple hoop seems to emphasize the fundamental frequency, and the upper frequencies and 'ring' are diminished a bit. this contributes to an overall woody kind of sound. the attack may be a bit softer than a die cast rim, but at the same time it's somewhat 'broader'
since the cocktail bottom head is a different story altoghether - striking with a beater not a stick via a pedal and not making direct contact with the rim
I hope this is somewhat helpful and you can interpolate to your cocktail drum. best I can say is that it's worth a try and if your cocktail drum and perhaps another drum are same diameter, you'll get a different sound on either.
tikifreak

wooden bass drum hoop

Post by tikifreak »

I just got the Yamaha Vintage Wood Hoop and installed it on the kick head of my Cocktail drum (16" x 16" floor tom). It seems to me the volume has increased a little, the attack is slightly softer / warmer, and there is a small increase in sustain / ring. I like the differences in the sound. More volume is good.

I am not as happy with the look of them as I thought I would be, though. The wood hoop does not have a counterbore for the drum head rim to sit into, so the rim is completely exposed. Having the wood hoop on the bottom really draws attention to the kick drum.

-tikifreak