Slingerland "jam session" cocktail kit?

acutair

Slingerland "jam session" cocktail kit?

Post by acutair »

hi all,

new to this site, although i've browsed around a bit.

i've got a small-ish cocktail set - just curious if anyone's heard of it. it's a slingerland "jam session." i believe SL made a "regular" jam session kit, and i know they made the "expresso" kit, but i haven't found any info on the "jam session" cocktail kit.

here are the details:

- floor tom/kick drum, with 4 legs, staggered unevenly around the shell
- kick drum pedal, convertible to "regular" play i think
- small snare (8" i think) that attaches to floor tom
- cymbal stand that attaches to leg on floor tom
- one unused bracket on the floor tom for attaching a small tom or another cymbal, &c.
- designed to played while sitting

it only took 2 gigs for me to decide that hauling a "regular" 5-piece kit was not gonna work (i'm also hauling the guitar rig!), so i jumped on this cocktail kit when it showed up on my local craigslist.

sorry no pics, but i can take some on request.

anyone know anything about this? or is it "rare," and worth a zillion dollars? :lol:

cheers,
andre
acutair

Post by acutair »

pretty dorky to reply to your own post, i guess, but ...

i think the "jam session" kit is just the "expresso" kit with a different model name on the shells. i just looked at the expresso picture again here on the site, and it's pretty much identical - the cymbal stands look a little different, and i've only got one "attached" drum, but otherwise, it's a dead match.

so did slingerland market this set under two different monikers?

just curious ...
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

I don't know anything about the kit you describe, but welcome to the forum. Feel free to post some pics if you can. Cheers.
jmettam
Site Admin

Jam Session/ Expresso

Post by jmettam »

Hey Andre,

Welcome to the forums!

Slingerland did/does make a 'Jam Session' line of regular drum kits.

I do remember that they were selling a Slingerland Expresso kit complete with a cymbal pack. It had a different name than the Expresso and may have been called the Jam Session. I cannot remember for certain. Anyone else remember this?

I wouldn't be surprised if Slingerland jujst created the Expresso out of 'Jam Session' parts. Any other Expresso owners want to tell us how your drums are labeled?

As far as value, these kits sold for ~$300 new. Now that they are out of production if you sell it on ebay you may get $400-$500 for it. Although it sounds like you are missing the tom and a cymbal arm so it would probably go for less.

- John
Bruce (the K)

Jam Session/Expresso

Post by Bruce (the K) »

I don't remember the name Jam Session but I seem to remember the Expresso kit with the cymbal pack being called the Expresso Regular Grind or some such coffee-related phrase.

Sound familiar?

Bruce (the K)
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Bruce,

Yeah, I think you are right!

So there goes my theory for the Jam Session drums. I still want to verify that all of the Expresso drums did NOT have the Jam Session label. Anyone out there have one?

- John