Practical Applications

CCartoons

Post by CCartoons »

I would like to request some testimonials from cocktail drummers as to what type of music they are playing, how do their cocktail drumsets work in those settings, things like that. I am always looking for the one-trip drumset that actually does sound good for a variety of musical applications (jazz, acoustic singer/songwriter, small room, etc.)<br>
<br>
Another question, are they easy to play sitting down? With a hi-hat? Cocktail drummers, speak out! Thanks, Crazydave
<p></p><i></i>
John Mettam

Post by John Mettam »

Hi David, <br>
<br>
I'm adding my reply to your E-mail so that others may aslo read it:<br>
<br>
>Even with the smallest setup I find myself hauling around 2 drums and a trap <br>
>case. I've always looked for the 1-trip, pick it up and walk out setup that <br>
>still has a bass and snare with a hi-hat and cymbal. Have been visiting this <br>
>site for awhile, but have not seen any cocktail kits in my neck of the woods.<br>
><br>
>My question is, could I use a cocktail kit on a real working basis for small <br>
>group playing? Do you? Can they be played sitting down in a comfortable way? <br>
<br>
Hmmmm, let' see how short an answer I can give you : > ) First of all, my set up is a stand up 24 x 14 single drum with the upward strinking pedal and snares underneath the top head. I cannot say enough good things about these drums (hence the website). I have gotten it sounding VERY good with nice distinct snare and bass drum sounds out of the one chamber drum. It is not a very loud drum which is great for me (and you!). I use the same settup for small acoustic jass gigs, crazy latin lounge music, and pop-rock groups. It sounds great through a PA if the gig is loud. OK, the setback is I am standing up and have no hi-hat. It works for me but I have DEFINITELY developed a different techniqe for playing this thing and it's taken some time. I also get quite tired on long gigs! I have heard of people sitting on high stools with these kits but I have never tried it.<br>
<br>
OK, with all of that said, there are the kits like Cherie's and the Rogers Astoria that have a small snare mounted off of a low floor tom. I sometimes use a setup like this for some more unusual gigs that I do. I just use my cocktail pedal on a floor tom. It works very well except that if the pedal is straight under the drum, the top of the drum is a bit too far away to play comfortably.<br>
<br>
> I play in a jazz trio (bass, drums, guitar/vocalist) and a country trio <br>
>(same setup) both of which are very low-volume, almost acoustic. Small gigs, <br>
>small stages, you know the drill. If you could just give me a brief message <br>
>about how you use your kit and how it sounds in different situations, I would <br>
>be very grateful!<br>
<br>
I Hope I have!<br>
<br>
>Thank you, hope this is not a bother. I think the cocktail frontier may be <br>
>the next place I go in my drumming journey through life! -David<br>
<br>
I think it's a great place! : > )<br>

<p></p><i></i>